Would appreciate feedback on recipe if anyone can help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mc5892

Reaction score
I have done about 15 all grain batches.. All have been either kits from northern brewer or recipes out of books (all have come out well in tems of taste and close on graivities).

I am trying to make an oatmeal stout that has a very mild taste. I want it to be somewhat like a cross between a mild oatmeal stout (like sam smith) and a gunisess.

Let me know what you think of the recipe and how it might taste. i really want it to come out good on the first try. I am hoping that the recipe turns out good and I will be able to modify it durring future brews. I have not brewed a stout yet. The closest was 3 browns and a porter.

Here is the recipe I am thinking of using for 10 gallons:

Briess pale ale malt 14 lbs
instant oatmeal 2 lbs
Briess flaked barley 2 lbs
Briess roasted barley 2lbs
Briess 2 rom caramel 60 12 oz
crisp chocolate 12 oz
target german pelets 2 oz
wyeast labs irish ale 2 packs
irish moss 2tsps

153 degree mash and 90 minute boil
1 week primary
2 weeks secondary
3 week aging in keg

calculations
og 1.050
fg 1.014
ibu 27.3
srm 36

Looks close to what you want. The Briess roasted barley is very mild in flavor and color at ~300L compared to most other versions. You actually might not have enough dark grain to get a proper black color, so I might add an extra pound of Carafa Special II to get the color without adding more roasted flavor.

Are you just adding the Target to bitter?

A general process note, I think 2-3 weeks in primary and then into the keg should be fine for this one. Since you aren't aging it for long just wait until the primary fermentation is finished and most of the yeast has dropped out before racking.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Looks close to what you want. The Briess roasted barley is very mild in flavor and color at ~300L compared to most other versions. You actually might not have enough dark grain to get a proper black color, so I might add an extra pound of Carafa Special II to get the color without adding more roasted flavor.

Are you just adding the Target to bitter?

A general process note, I think 2-3 weeks in primary and then into the keg should be fine for this one. Since you aren't aging it for long just wait until the primary fermentation is finished and most of the yeast has dropped out before racking.

Hope that helps, good luck.

thanks alot. Yeah the hops are just for bittering

Back