Question about Brewing Classic Styles' Raspberry Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffaloipa

Reaction score
I brewed it this past weekend. OG was just about dead on at 1.064. Since this is my first beer I have a couple of questions about fermentation. My plan is to rack on the fruit puree in the secondary after it reaches fg. I'm taking my first hydro reading at 7 days (tonight). Is it correct to wait until primary is completely finished? Also, is it necessary to move it to a third carboy for clarification ?

Your porter is going to be dark enough that clarification would be a misnomer. So long as you are careful racking and have no solids in your beer you are done. I'm curious how this will turn out because I just finished a "Strawberries n' Cream Stout" and the strong flavor of the stout totally overrode the berries. I imagine this may suffer the same fate.

I'd imagine the acidity of the raspberries might be more pronounced, especially in a porter instead of a stout. Strawberries are fairly light in flavor.

I'm using the suggested 3 lbs of raspberry puree called for in the recipe. I'm hoping the fruit balances the dark, roasty grains and that I don't get a super raspberry beer. Does 3 weeks on the fruit sound right?

buffaloipa said:
I'm using the suggested 3 lbs of raspberry puree called for in the recipe. I'm hoping the fruit balances the dark, roasty grains and that I don't get a super raspberry beer. Does 3 weeks on the fruit sound right?

I used three lbs in my recipe earlier this year. It took several months of aging before it was balanced. Very sweet and mostly raspberry when young. It did develop into a very good raspberry porter after several months, though. I also dropped in some lactose sugar and cocoa nibs for the ladies.

Back