Juniper Rye Ale "Machandelbaum"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mahanoy

Reaction score
Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I brewed my first batch a few weeks ago and just bottled today after one week in primary and 10 days in "secondary." It was probably a bit ambitious for my first brew (partial mash, spicing, etc.) but at every step of the way it's been a beauty.

Recipe:

1.5 lbs. rye malt (21%)
0.5 lbs. 60L (7%)
0.5 lbs. 80L (7%)
0.5 lbs. Vienna (7%)
0.25 lbs. wheat malt (3.5%)

3.0 lbs. amber DME (41%)
1.0 lbs. wheat DME (14%)

1.0 oz. Hallertauer (60 mins.)
1 Whirlfloc tablet (15 mins.)
1.0 oz. crushed dried juniper berries (0 mins.)
Wyeast 1007 - German Ale (no starter)

I used Deathbrewer's stove-top partial mash technique and it worked really well. 45 minutes at 155 in 2 gallons, then soaked 10 minutes in 1.5 gallons at 155 and teabagged another 10 minutes.

I crushed the juniper berries in a mortar and pestle before throwing them in the kettle during the ice bath and it smelled like a gin factory. Topped off the 6.5 gallon primary with cold spring water and let it get down to business.

The Wyeast 1007 took off like a rocket and slowed down after about 4 days @ 72 degrees. I left it in primary for a week then racked to the 5-gallon for clarification for another 10 days. It dropped clear with a beautiful copper color.

I bottled this afternoon with 2/3 cup corn sugar and got 24 x 12oz. and 11 x 22oz. bottles. I lost a bottle or two to trub and gravity readings, I suppose, plus I snuck a taste before I bottled. It has a wonderful malty sweetness, some spiciness from the rye, a nice subtle bitterness from the Hallertauer and an earthy, woody, ginny zest from the juniper berries.

OG = 1050
FG = 1013

ABV ~ 5%

I named it "Machandelbaum" after the Grimm Brothers' fairy tale of the same name. It translates into English as "Juniper Tree."

Forgot to mention, this is my variation of Scott Russell's recipe for Estonian Rye Beer in the August 1996 issue of BYO. Online here.

Brewed this up for my annual Deer Hunt. It was fantastic! May be one of the best beers I have brewed to date. My only issue is that the juniper is barely noticeable at all. May need to add another .5/1.0 oz next time.

Back