enough aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kid_ak

Reaction score
Hi gang. I made a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout clone from AHS back in January. About three weeks in primary. Since then, it's been sitting in secondary for about two months now. What do you think about bottling now? Or would you age a beer like this for a bit longer before bottling (where I'll age a bit more, anyhow).

There's about a 1/2 inch of yeast in the bottom of the carboy, so I wasn't sure whether that would eventually pose a risk of autolysis either.

I'm completely happy to let it age longer--not in a rush at all--I just don't want to overdo it.

Also, I assume that with bottling now there would still be enough yeast that I wouldn't need to repitch. Is that right, or would you repitch anyway?

Basically any brief input or more in-depth thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
AK

Get that baby in some bottles. No real risk of autolysis yet and there will still be enough yeast in suspension for carbonation still. Just remember, let it carb for a few weeks.

Thanks all!

I should say--I'm a bit surprised at the consensus (though definitely appreciative of it). I had thought that a high-gravity beer like this could do with months and months of aging. Is that not the case?

Thanks all!

I should say--I'm a bit surprised at the consensus (though definitely appreciative of it). I had thought that a high-gravity beer like this could do with months and months of aging. Is that not the case?

How's it taste? If it's "hot" and still rough around the edges, it can age a bit. It can age just fine in the bottle, though.

If it tastes good now, it'll taste better in a month once it's carb up! If it's still a bit rough then, age the bottles a bit longer.

Your logic is sound, your wisdom runs deep! I'm convinced, bottling on Friday...

Thanks again.

I would bottle it too just so it it starts carbing up. You can still age them in the bottles for a year or more if you wanted. If you bottle them and leave them be, they will continue to age.

Latest posts

Back