Need a pump for CIP Spray Ball from Stpats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinsleigh

Reaction score
I am going crazy trying to find a pump that has enough power to spin the spray ball I have. I have seen quite a few online but they are so expensive. My wife is going to kill me if I keep spending all of our money...Any help that someone can offer would be amazing.

I have a brewhemoth and bought a spray ball from stpats. The only thing it says on the stpats site as far as the spray ball goes is 50 gallons a minute and 30 psi. I don't even know if this is a max the ball will take or if this is the minimum. Can anyone help me????

I'm using this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XP-1100W-1-...159384990643401&_qi=RTM1084480#ht_2955wt_1351

I have a 1" spray ball and a Brewhemoth. Actually this 1.5HP pump putpaces the drains even with both valves wide open, so it periodically slows untilthe solution drains out. I'd get the 1HP or 1.25HP version, that ought to keep up about right.

I tried a small DC voltage pump that supposedly pushed 50psi but it wasn't enough pump.

During the summer I've just been wiping the trub ring with a plastic scrubbie and hosing out the conical. I'll probably resort to the CIP this winter.

Had a stainless one from st pats - a version that is no longer sold there btw. I kept upping the pump hp until 1hp, then gave up and got a plastic rotator from mcmaster. Works a treat. Brewhemoth btw.

Wow, it really doesn't take that much pumping power. You guys might need to just up the size of the hose to the spray ball to increase flow.
I'm pretty sure mine is a 1/4hp sump pump with 3/4" ID braided vinyl tubing. It drives the stpats sprayball in an 85 gallon fermenter more than well enough, with a pumping height of 7 feet. Got the pump at home depot, and its worked great for 18 months now in a commercial setting. When I first tried it I used 1/2" ID hose, and it was MUCH slower/less effective.

My spray ball is one of these.

http://www.brewershardware.com/CIP-Spray-Balls/

I am fairly sure a 1/4HP pump wouldn't push mine. Maybe the StPats one is smaller though. Really if I had it to do over again I'd probably go with the small plastic McMaster one and a $45 dollar DC voltage pump from Harbor Freight. Either way, a little scrubbing of the ring is a good idea. Or maybe I'm not using enough PBW in my water and I also use cold water.

Its a gasoline engine powered 7 hp pump so can't be run indoors, that does around 10,000 gallons per hour, and it weighs 60 pounds. Will it work? I would be afraid it would blow my tubing up. It might work, but its gnomishly impractical.

The 1/4 hp flotec sump that I use is much cheaper, and the sprayball is a full 1.5" triclamp version. I think those brewers hardware ones are the same if not even smaller.

There's plenty of pressure with this setup.

Can you post a link to the one you have? I tried the best waste water pump that lowes had and didn't work...maybe the sump pump will pump more gpm then the waste water ones.

As I found the link, I realize it is a 1/3hp that I have. Here it is. I used a 1.5" female to .75" female reducer, then a .75" hose barb on the pump output. I first tried .5" hose, and it didn't cut it. Sizing up made a dramatic difference, I bet the flow doubled.
05059dc9-0132-4b31-9740-bcd180737296_300.jpg

I use a Shurflo Diaphragm Pump model 8005-733-155 for all my CIP. It has more than enough power and is NSF listed. I got it for 79 bucks from a vendor on Amazon.

Thank you everyone for your posts...I'm new at all of this and appreciate your patience with me. I'm going to get the Flotec from Home Depot (that way I can really easily return it if it doesn't work).

Since you are new - I will give this to you to consider. If you're going to drop the money on a pump, might as well get a flexible one. Submersibles are nice because of how easy they are to get going, but they don't have the flexibility that a pump with both an inlet an outlet does. Just something to keep in mind. Also be sure to check the pressure rating for both the pump and the ball to make sure you don't end up with a whimpy flow.

Anyone use their CIP pump on the Brewhemoth chilling coil as well?

Any thoughts?

Anyone use their CIP pump on the Brewhemoth chilling coil as well?

Any thoughts?

I assume you're talking about to push chilled water? If so, before I got my glycol chiller I was using a 1/3hp submersible to push chilled water through and it worked fine.

The size of pump needed for a CIP is way more than you want to circulate liquid through the internal chilling coil option. In fact it would probably shut down from the back-pressure from the coil. A little fountain pump is plenty for the coil.

You can't do that with a pump thats not magnet-driven, it increases back-pressure and some of the pumps are designed to shut off to prevent damage.

Most newer pumps can be throttled on the output - just not the input. It increases pressure and reduces flow. Usually the worst that happens is they overheat but I've never seen it.

Back