My first yeast starter, any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipatch

Reaction score
I just completed my first yeast starter today 20AUG10, and was hoping to get some suggestions from people here on the forums.

My yeast starter recipe is as follows:

1 cup DME
32oz H2O

Instructions:

1) Wisk DME and H2O together.
2) Bring to boil for 15 minutes
3) Chill to about 65F
4) Add yeast.

The yeast I used for this starter was White Labs American Lager Yeast WLP840

My questions:

1)After pouring my completed starter into my 2000ml Erlenmeyer flask I have approx 750-800ml of liquid in the flask. Is this enough for a 5 gallon batch of beer?

2)I put the starter wort on the stir plate as soon as I added the yeast to the wort. How long do I need to leave this starter on the stir plate?

3) I covered the flask with a piece of aluminum foil instead of using a rubber stopper and an air lock is this going to be problematic?

4) Room temperature is 82F is this going to be an issue for this lager yeast?

I just completed my first yeast starter today 20AUG10, and was hoping to get some suggestions from people here on the forums.

My yeast starter recipe is as follows:

1 cup DME
32oz H2O

Instructions:

1) Wisk DME and H2O together.
2) Bring to boil for 15 minutes
3) Chill to about 65F
4) Add yeast.

The yeast I used for this starter was White Labs American Lager Yeast WLP840

My questions:

1)After pouring my completed starter into my 2000ml Erlenmeyer flask I have approx 750-800ml of liquid in the flask. Is this enough for a 5 gallon batch of beer?

2)I put the starter wort on the stir plate as soon as I added the yeast to the wort. How long do I need to leave this starter on the stir plate?

3) I covered the flask with a piece of aluminum foil instead of using a rubber stopper and an air lock is this going to be problematic?

4) Room temperature is 82F is this going to be an issue for this lager yeast?

The gravity for that starter is a little high, you want it to be between 1.030-1.040. I usually use around 3/4 cups of DME to 38oz of water pre-boil.

1. Use MrMalty.com to figure out how big of a starter you need.

2. Leave it for 18-24 hours, then chill & decant.

3. Sanitized foil is all I ever use.

4. I'd see if I could get the temp down a little but you shouldn't have too many problems. Although, depending on the size of your starter vessel you may have some blowoff.

The gravity for that starter is a little high, you want it to be between 1.030-1.040. I usually use around 3/4 cups of DME to 38oz of water pre-boil.

1. Use MrMalty.com to figure out how big of a starter you need.

2. Leave it for 18-24 hours, then chill & decant.

3. Sanitized foil is all I ever use.

4. I'd see if I could get the temp down a little but you shouldn't have too many problems. Although, depending on the size of your starter vessel you may have some blowoff.

Hey thanks for the help, but got one question for you, and yes, I know I sound like a noob when I ask this. How do I decant the starter? I know this is the process of removing the starter wort from the flask and keeping the yeast, but is there a youtube video showing how this is done, or do you have a preferred method you use?

Hey thanks for the help, but got one question for you, and yes, I know I sound like a noob when I ask this. How do I decant the starter? I know this is the process of removing the starter wort from the flask and keeping the yeast, but is there a youtube video showing how this is done, or do you have a preferred method you use?

Lager yeast takes a bit longer to fall out than ale yeast, so you put the completed starter in the fridge for at least a couple of days. There will be a thick layer of yeast on the bottom, and clear beer on top. On brewday, you will take the flask out of the fridge and pour off the majority of the spent wort. When it's time to pitch (and for lagers, I like to have the wort at 50 degrees, and the yeast at 48 degrees), just swirl the remaining liquid and yeast up together and pour into the wort.

Back