American Ale yeast in the 60 degree range?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Dub

Reaction score
Anyone ferment American Ale yeast in the 60 degree range?

I read somewhere that Sierra Nevada was experimenting with lower temperature ranges. But for the life of me I can not remember where. Wyeast? White labs site maybe?

Thinking of using the hybrid selection on MR Malty's yeast calculator and fermenting at 60. This is for a Barley Wine in the 1.104 range.

I am finishing up two beers near range. A WLP001 and a Bell's harvested. Both were at ~63 for 1 week, then I bring them inside (70) to finish up any left overs.

With a beer the size of that barleywine, you'll definitely need to let the temp rise at the end of the fermentation in order for it to finish completely. You could also try feeding the beer every day or so with corn sugar, honey or any other 100% fermentable in order to get the total gravity.

i would start a little higher (66), but maintain 66 for 7 days let let it rise up to like 72 to finish off and eat off any diacetyl and byproducts

Back