When to Transfer to Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treyceff

Reaction score
I have a wine kit brewing that I started last Tuesday. It had a starting gravity of 1.076 (which I felt is a little low for a red, but meh, this wont be an ageing wine). I have it in a loose fitting bucket, and am checking the gravity daily. the kit states to wait 14 days, however my gravity reading is giving me 0.995, which is the stated finished gravity for this wine.

Basically I'm wondering:

A) Do I leave it another week, following the kits instructions?
B) Rack it to a glass carboy and airlock it, wait out the 14 days, then followe the instructions?
c) Rack to a glass carboy, follow the stabilizing steps etc that are in the instructions as if this was day 14?

I am worried about leaving a nearly finished fermenting wine the chance to oxidize by leaving it in the loose fitted fermentor. What are your thoughts?

Treyceff said:
I have a wine kit brewing that I started last Tuesday. It had a starting gravity of 1.076 (which I felt is a little low for a red, but meh, this wont be an ageing wine). I have it in a loose fitting bucket, and am checking the gravity daily. the kit states to wait 14 days, however my gravity reading is giving me 0.995, which is the stated finished gravity for this wine.

Basically I'm wondering:

A) Do I leave it another week, following the kits instructions?
B) Rack it to a glass carboy and airlock it, wait out the 14 days, then followe the instructions?
c) Rack to a glass carboy, follow the stabilizing steps etc that are in the instructions as if this was day 14?

I am worried about leaving a nearly finished fermenting wine the chance to oxidize by leaving it in the loose fitted fermentor. What are your thoughts?

Go ahead and transfer to your carboy and leave for 14 days. There is probably a small amount of sugar left, that will give the yeast time to finish up.

Back