Operation: Sixpoint Resin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsap

Reaction score
Just recently got a four pack of sixpoint breweries Resin and was just blown away by it. It's such a big beer while at the same time being incredibly balanced. The hop flavor just fills your palate with just the right amount of bitterness on the tongue and the perfect amount of graham crackery malt sweetness in the aftertaste.

I have no idea where to start with cloning this. Team effort?

Really? No brewmasters willing to lend a hand? I'll bump once out of desperation.

I would be on board for a Resin team effort. I've only been brewing for about a year and haven't/ can't do all grain yet but... Have you tried contacting Sixpoint yet? You never know.

I would be on board for a Resin team effort. I've only been brewing for about a year and haven't/ can't do all grain yet but... Have you tried contacting Sixpoint yet? You never know.

What a good idea. It's christmas morning so maybe the holiday spirit will cheer them up enough to bring forth some good tidings.

Another fan of Resin here. I was working on a clone of this back in September, never made it, but I'll give you the info I found.

First I tried to contact the brewery, Shane and Jan answered my email very fast, here's the info they gave me, the first email is from Shane, the second from Jan

Hey Bob -

Our Braumeister Jan and I have formulated the Resin, and tweaked the recipe, over the past 9 months. We started just like you - with a homebrew batch, then kept scaling it up until we had a working recipe on our 200 bbl system. We currently make three 200bbl batches and max out a 600bbl tank when we brew it - that's a lot of Resin! :)

Jan has been curating the recipe and dialing it in over the past several months. He can help you from here.

cheers

☮ ☮ ☮ ☮ ☮ ☮
Shane C. Welch
President
Sixpoint - Brooklyn - NYC 11231

Bob,

Good to hear you're enjoying the Resin.
While I can't give you the exact recipe, I will provide some hints that should help you out: Malt bill is quite simple and straight forward, mainly 2-row pale malt and some caramel malt. As for the hop schedule: Lot's of classic American citrus hops. Good amount of dry-hops as well !

Have fun!

Cheers,

--
Jan H. Matysiak
Brewmaster
Sixpoint - Brooklyn - NYC 11231

So, not to much info there. I did find an interview on youtube Shane did with BeerGeekNation where he gives some info about Resin, here's a link

Here's some of the info on Resin Shane gives in that youtube vid

Resin was not originally press released as an IIPA, He describes it as more of an American Strong Ale, or a Doppelboch crossed with a Barleywine

He mentions 3 low lovibond crystals used in the grain bill

boiled for 1:45-2:00 hours

Hops he mentions in Resin are,
Cascade
Citra
Columbus
Chinook
Amarillo
-------------------

Some other info I can give, I measured the Final Gravity of a degassed sample of Resin, FG 1.010. This puts the OG around 1.079.

I came up with a grain bill I was going to try,
85% Briess Pale
3% C20
3% C40
3% C60
6% Dextrose Sugar(this is to get the FG down to 1.010, the Pliny clone uses 5% Dextrose as a reference)

mash around 150

I never came up with a hop schedule, but if I had to now, I'd copy one of the hop schedules Avery Brewing uses for their IIPA's. Bitter with Magnum, then big late additions of the hops Shane mentioned, mostly I'd go heavy on the Chinook, and Columbus, and light on the Citra, Cascade, and Amarillo.

Just a couple of other notes, I'd give it a 20 minute hot whirlpool before chilling, use lots of O2 at pitching, and a very big pitch of yeast.

From the Resin can 9.1% ABV, 103 IBU's, 9.5 SRM.

Personally I'm really liking Avery's Dugana more than Resin now, I posted a clone recipe of that on here too. Avery clone link

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they've got some kind if proprietary yeast strain that gives all their beers some kind of flavor I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of. The reason I think it's the yeast is because I tasted it every one of their beers that I've tried. But Resin was the one that I liked the most.

Good luck

Here is an attempt at a jumping off point, based on the info above (thank you very much Buna Bere):

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/6829b60a/

If the link doesn't work, let me know, or you can look for it under American Pale Ales at Brewmaster'sWarehouse.com.

I know that the %'s of malt aren't quite right, but it gets the O.G. up to 1.079, and the hops schedule gets it to 107 IBU's. Let me know what you think.

Anyone have any success with this attempt at a clone of this beer yet? I love Resin!

Well, today is my first attempt at this clone recipe. All Grain.
I went with the grain bill from above, but used my own hop schedule.
It is embarrassingly complicated so I will keep it to myself until I try the final product.

I missed the OG by 8 points!

Any word yet on how this came out? Or still conditioning? Thinking about a resin clone for my next brew session next weekend.

Im out in hawaii now and I can't find resin anywhere. Please tell me someone has a good clone recipe

I'm thinking about having a go at this one. What I like about Resin is that it is hoppy and potent but still manages, as the man said, to be dangerously drinkable.

Using the information provided above (thanks, Buna!) I've come up with this recipe.

This is an all grain, single infusion mash (at 150), two hour boil for six gallons into the fermenter. I'm planning a 1.3+ liter starter for 330 bill. cells. After fermentation I'll dry hop in the secondary for a couple weeks, then cold crash and keg carbonate to about 2.8 volumes.

Any thoughts?

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Resin Douple IPA
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.58 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.081 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 103.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.4 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 83.7 %
10.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.8 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5 7.1 %
2.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 6 72.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 35. Hop 7 30.3 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -
1.20 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 9 -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 13 -
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Day Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 10.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 21.67 qt of water at 160.7 F 150.0 F 60 min

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking about having a go at this one. What I like about Resin is that it is hoppy and potent but still manages, as the man said, to be dangerously drinkable.

Using the information provided above (thanks, Buna!) I've come up with this recipe.

This is an all grain, single infusion mash (at 150), two hour boil for six gallons into the fermenter. I'm planning a 1.3+ liter starter for 330 bill. cells. After fermentation I'll dry hop in the secondary for a couple weeks, then cold crash and keg carbonate to about 2.8 volumes.

Any thoughts?

Recipe: Resin Douple IPA

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 7.58 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 103.0 IBUs
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.4 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 83.7 %
10.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.8 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5 7.1 %
2.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 6 72.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 35. Hop 7 30.3 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -
1.20 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 9 -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 13 -
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 10.0 oz
Mash In Add 21.67 qt of water at 160.7 F 150.0 F 60 min

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How in the world are you going to boil for two hours and only boil off about a gallon?

Beersmith does the calculation. I've found it to be pretty accurate.

I agree that 1 gal for 2 hours is a bit unbelievable. BeerSmith bases its calculation on data you provide it. I would boil a few gallons of water for a while and measure pre- and post-boil volumes to get more accurate data.

Yeah, good point. I think Beersmith allows for calibrating the boil off percentage. I usually do 60-90 min boils and the actual boil off has been close enough to predicted that I haven't worried about the calibration.

I think the grain bill above works so I'm mainly looking for feedback on the hops. Do you Resin drinkers think this hop schedule gets me close to the profile?

anybody have any preliminary reports on how any of theses recipes have gone. I'm hoping to have a plan together to brew on Thanksgiving.

Also what are peoples thoughts on using different hoping techniques for this. I was thinking about doing some first wort hoping with Chinook. What about using a hopback system? Not alot of talk about yeast yet? My friend and I are thinking about using AAII 1272 for yeast.

I followed my above recipe except with a slightly different dry hop schedule. I pitched a 350B cell starter of 1056 and fermented at 64F (60F ambient) for about a week with a few days rest at 69F. This yeast, as typical, chewed through the wort nicely, going from OG 1.081 down to 1.010. After fermentation I dry hopped in the primary vessel with 1 oz pellets each of Amarillo, Columbus, and Citra. After a few days I racked to the secondary and dry hopped with 1oz each of Amarillo, Columbus, and Cascade at 69F. I'm going to let the hops drop out then crash it out then either let it bulk age for a while or just keg carbonate. Haven't decided. The taste out of the primary was very good, hoppy, strong (about 9% abv) but I'll post back with a taste comparison with Resin when able.

ok based on what other people have posted for ideas hear (thanks Asta and Buna) here is my rough draft for this one. since Im spliting the wort with my friend there will probably be more dry hops maybe 2x then what I have posted. probably dry hop after primary. I had a successful first wort hopped beer and thought I would try that out on this recipe too

Recipe: Resin Clone
Brewer: Jon and Matt
Asst Brewer:

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 6.88 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated Color: 10.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 103.8 IBUs
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.4 %
Boil Time: 100 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 85.2 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.9 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.3 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 5 39.0 IBUs
8.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 3.3 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 7 35.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 8 29.1 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -
1.20 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 10 -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Aroma Steep 60.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast 14 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 4.0 oz
Mash In Add 18.44 qt of water at 159.1 F 148.0 F 75 min
Mash Out Add 11.80 qt of water at 203.8 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 1.34 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

Looks good. Mashing a little cooler, and boiling a little less than mine. You gonna have enough yeast with just two smack packs? It'll be interesting to hear how these turn out.

Im going to make a starter two days ahead. since my friend and I are splitting the wort we will each make a 1L starter using a stirplate. beer smith says we should have close to 4bil cells between the two of us.

I made the recipe posted above. It is quite close to the original. I do want to let it age a little more, as I think double IPAs in general need to "lager" for a bit. Fresh out of carbonation it had a bit of a bite to it, but now -- about six weeks later -- it seems to have mellowed. I think in a couple months it will be a very nice clone.

Hmmm... Aging/long conditioning is not the typical advice I see on this site for IPA's, even DIPA's. Let us know how she ends up.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using Home Brew mobile app

I know this thread is a little old, but this is the beer I'd like to brew next. Any regrets on the recipes?

Randy, no regrets, but it is a strong hoppy beer so maybe I'd play with the bittering. The original is hoppy too, however. Tasting them side by side I'd say this recipe has a little more bite than the original, but the flavor is close. A little darker than Six Point, too, so maybe I'd lighten it a couple SRM. All in all a unique beer, a close clone, popular with my drinking friends who prefer a beer with strong hop flavor.

Excellent, thank you for the reply! I'm a heavy hop lover so I'm sure I'll love the bitterness. I might skip the crystal 60L and up the 40L a bit. I'll see what BeerSmith thinks.

I just recently won a Sixpoint Resin brewing kit from Sixpoint on Facebook. Just received it today. It's for a 1 gallon batch. It doesn't have an ingredients list, but I can tell you what I can decipher here...

Pilsen Light DME (which is 99% Pilsen Malt and 1% Carapils)
Dextrose
Flaked Oats
C60 ? (That one I'm not sure of. It's mixed in with the Flaked Oats. I need to weight it and dial it in on Beersmith to see what it actually is)

Warrior - Bittering
Simcoe & Chinook - 25 minutes
Mosaic & Centennial - 15 minutes
Cascade, Simcoe & Mosaic - Flame

US05.... I believe

I'll do my best to do a full conversion once I'm able to weigh all the hops, grains, convert LME to All Grain, etc. Report back soon.

Here's the All Grain conversion and scale up:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: yes
Yeast Starter: optional
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Original Gravity: 1.081
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 102.4
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 9.6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Additional Fermentation: 7 Secondary
Tasting Notes: Not yet brewed
BrewHouse Efficiency: 66%

12lb 8oz Pilsner Malt (2.0 SRM)
15 oz Flaked Oats
14 oz Caramel 60L
2 oz Carapils
1lb 9oz Dextrose

1oz Warrior hops @ 60 minutes
0.7oz Simcoe hops @ 25 minutes
0.7oz Chinook hops @ 25 minutes
0.6oz Centennial hops @ 15 minutes
0.6oz Mosaic hops @ 15 minutes
0.6oz Cascade hops @ 0 minutes
0.6oz Mosaic hops @ 0 minutes
0.6oz Simcoe hops @ 0 minutes

mash approx 152F for 60minutes

us05 yeast

Hi,
I know its a very late post to this thread but a beer kit I just brewed comes very close too and with some tweaking might be made to taste exactly like Resin. The kit was an all grain from Northern. The name of it was Cascade Mountains West Coast Imperial IPA. Now I realize that it is an Imperial and that Resin is a double but they are very similar in color, flavor and mouthfeel. I am going to tweak it a bit with my mash in temp and drop the sugar by half a pound to see if I can get it spot on.

Hi,

I know its a very late post to this thread but a beer kit I just brewed comes very close too and with some tweaking might be made to taste exactly like Resin. The kit was an all grain from Northern. The name of it was Cascade Mountains West Coast Imperial IPA. Now I realize that it is an Imperial and that Resin is a double but they are very similar in color, flavor and mouthfeel. I am going to tweak it a bit with my mash in temp and drop the sugar by half a pound to see if I can get it spot on.

Imperial and double IPA are the same thing.

Has anyone been working on a clone of this recently or we have some new information?
Maybe the brewer has revealed everything in the last few years :p

I had this about 4 years ago when I was in NY.
I would love to brew something similar.
I did some checks on the intenet and the hops and grain bill vairy quite a lot on the different attempts I found - even in this thread.

Back