Brewer Looking To Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtupper

Reaction score
So I just brewed my first lager and Im in the mood to be even more risky. I have recently purchased a 1G jug with a stopper and am looking to make a simple cheap batch. I have some pastuer yeast stocked up from soda making in the past. My questions are these:

I need a recipe of fruit wine (apple, store bought juice, fresh bought fruit, etc).

What additives will I need?

other than the jug i have a 6.5G bucket, 5G Glass, and some 5G kegs available do I need to pick up a 3G bucket or will one of these be fine for primary until the glass jug?

any links or suggestions are great. For reference of fruit I am in SW MO so not much fruit this time of year as its about 20F outside.

Google Jack Keller wine recipe and you will get a bunch. People seem to like the apple wine recipe that is a sticky on this forum too.

The absolute easiest method would be to use apple juice, sweeten it with sugar until you reach your desired sg, 1.075 or so, and let it do it's thing. Yeast nutrients are always a good idea, and with an apple juice it would be good to use some pectin enzyme, but all of that is unnecessary. Sugar and juice and your yeast mixed with a good bit of time and you're on your way.

There's numerous beginner threads out there and for easy reference....
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp

For a first wine I would suggest just a Welches "kit" Search the forum here and they are pretty easy and inexpensive to manage. Low risk investment into wine. The biggest thing is the time and energy to do it. Then sit back and wait.

You'll likely try another wine before you will have the chance to really try the first one. I find it's ALOT easier than beer...in terms of ingredients and method, but more time investment to stir during primary (if using fruit), and constantly checking, then cleaning the must. Beer has a more intense "brew day" but it's more set+forget until it's time to bottle (or keg).

Latest posts

Back