Whoops, kegged WAY early...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandw12786

Reaction score
Well, I made a whoops. Not due to lack of patience, but stupidity... and I was a bit hurried.

Thursday night after work, I planned on kegging a blonde ale I had finished dry-hopping, hopefully in time for kickoff. I grabbed the bucket, got all of my sanitation done, blah blah blah. While I was doing my hydrometer readings I noticed it was a bit dark. Didn't think much of it, as I had modified my usual blonde ale recipe a bit and it turned out a bit darker anyway. Siphoned it into the keg and hooked it up to the gas.

Friday as I was picking moving all of my stuff, I looked at the bucket, and remembered a conversation where my buddies were commenting about the text on the bucket while I was brewing the blonde ale. This bucket didn't have that text. I had grabbed the wrong bucket and kegged a five day old amber ale. I didn't have a chance to do anything as I was leaving town right away, and returned today, which is why I'm asking the question 3 days after my screwup.

My hydro reading was lower than anticipated (expected around 1.012, got 1.007), so if fermentation wasn't complete, it was close enough that I'm not too worried about it. My question is, should I finish carbing, and let it age cold in the kegerator for a few weeks, or take it out after carbing and let it age a bit warmer in the basement... or take it out now before carbing is complete and let any fermentation finish up in the keg and hook it back up in a few weeks?

Thanks, all!

Well, what's done is done - stuff happens. Did you happen to taste the hydro sample? If not, pull a sample off the keg and see how it tastes. If you're getting cidery, buttery, or other "green" flavors, I'd pull it out of the fridge and try and give the remaining yeast some more time to clean it up. If it tastes ok, I'd keep it on gas and cold and try it when it's fully carbed.

I did a similar thing with my Oktoberfest. I put in the fermenting fridge in the keg an extra week. I threw caution to the wind after that and just put in cold storage and didn't bother testing. Came out fantastic. Since most ferementation happens in those first 5-6 days, you should probably be good with another 7-10 days in your fermenter.

Back