Wood-Aged Beer Pirate Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1laskey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WLP060
Yeast Starter
1L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
1 tbsp yeast nutrient
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
1.018-1.016
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
15.91 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week
Tasting Notes
A mixed blend of pineapple, dark rum, oak, and vanilla
I have brewed this many times and can't get enough of it. Friends of mine continually ask me to brew this over and over again. Of all the recipes I have cooked up, I feel this one is worthy to post here on HTB.

Ingredients
5 lbs American 2-row
0.5 lb Weyermann CaraAroma®; Weyermann
1 lbs Torrified Wheat
5 lbs Dry Light Extract
1 lbs Light Brown Sugar
0.5 oz Galena (Pellets, 14.1 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 oz Citra™ (Pellets, 14.0 %AA) boiled 5 min.
1 ea. Cinnamon (stick) (15 min boil) (not included in calculations)
10 oz. Pineapple (fresh) (15 min boil) (not included in calculations)
1 tbsp. Yeast Nutrient (AKA Fermax) (15 min boil) (not included in calculations)
4 oz. Oak Wood Chips soaked in Myers Dark Rum (French Oak secondary) (not included in calculations)
1 ea. Vanilla (whole bean) (Secondary) (not included in calculations)
Yeast : White Labs WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend info

First soak french oak chips in Myers Dark Rum for 3 weeks

Brewday
Mash grains @ 154-156 for 60 mins. Sparge 0.5 gallon H20 @ 170. I squeeze the bag and collect all runnings.

Add DME (flameout) and bring to boil. From start of boil start hop, pineapple, cinnamon, and nutrient additions at the appropriate times.

End of boil remove pineapple pieces and cinnamon stick.

Cool wort to 70 degrees, add H2O for final volume of 5 gallons. Aerate, and pitch.

Ferment @ ~68 degrees for 3 weeks.

Secondary Add french oak chips that have been soaked in Myers Dark Rum. Add 1 vanilla bean that has been cut open lengthwise exposing the inner seeds.

Bottle/Keg After 7-10 of secondary transfer to bottles or keg. I keg and this beer is very very very drinkable after a week of carbonation.

The name of this caught my eye and the recipe itself even more so. Looks super interesting.

Couple of questions:
- If I don't have the ability to do the hour mash, would it be appropriate to substitute 3lbs DME and if so, what type? Light?
- Is this only a specialty for flavor/color? 0.5 lb Weyermann CaraAroma(c) If I steeped this for 30-45 mins would that work the same perhaps?

I don't mean to take something you've posted and start screwing with it - would like to also enjoy and see if my process will allow me to :)

Thanks!

Sure you could sub for DME. I tend always to stick with light. It just helps me stay consistent with my recipes.

The CaraAroma is for body and color. You should have no problems just steeping the grains.

I just racked this to secondary last night.

New brewer here. I am not set up to do all grain brewing. This beer sounds awesome! How would I make a simple version off this? (In novice brew talk please!)

Welcome AT,

I had the same issue for a the Jasmine Blonde recipe that's on here. When I asked if someone could convert for me, they did so and added how to do it:
1 lb of 2 row = .6 lb of DME

Since this recipe is calling for 5 lbs American 2-row that's 5lb*.6 = 3 lbs of DME instead of the mashing grains. The DME you should use is either "Light" or "Extra Light."

I'm not sure how other types of grains convert but since this one is also labeled as "2 Row", I used the same method.

Good luck!

J1,
Had another question. Because I always mess stuff like this up....there is a very important note that says, "First soak french oak chips in rum for 3 weeks."

My question is this: do you soak them 3 weeks BEFORE you are going to make the recipe or do you begin the soaking process on brew day because the primary is a 3 week period? Originally, I was going to soak them 3 weeks before I started. I expect to make this sometime in the next 4 weeks so that's why I was asking.

Thanks!

Hey hey. I start soaking the oak chips on brew day so they are ready to rock and roll after 3 weeks of fermentation.

I just pulled a sample off the keg tonight, not quite carb'd yet....tomorrow!!!

Also....I have only used dark rum to soak the chips....so I won't be able to comment on if there is any difference between dark or spiced

It's funny you mentioned that. I was actually thinking about that today. I have a ton of Captain Morgan Tattoo that I don't really drink that often and only a little Meyer's left. I was thinking that flavor profile might go with the overall drink but hadn't decided. I may do the "real version" first and then try to experiment or perhaps even doing a half batch of each.

Now that I know I've got a little more time to figure that out, I'll use it :)

pwortiz- If you make this on brewday, it should be ready for the secondary in 3 weeks. I am planning on slitting the vanilla bean after 2 weeks and throwing it in the run/oak mixture to extract more flavors for the last week before secondary.

I went ahead and brewed a 5g batch last night. Now Im still somewhat new to the whole mashing process, but last night things finally seemed to go all according to plan! Striked 2.75g @ 170* to mashin @ 155* for 60min. Hit the numbers right on the nose for a entire hour. Sparged with 2g @ 170* and retained 4.25g of wort with a gravity of 1.044 (@60*)

Question- How do I determine my mashing efficiency based upon the grain bill, and my above numbers? My searches have yielded nothing so far...

The reason I ask is because my OG came out to be a whopping 1.098! No biggie, for I had plenty of yeast for it, so... :tank:

Thanks for posting the recipie j1laskey!

AT, it's totally up to you and your preference. I am 95% of the time voting for DME based on my experiences and tastes. Basically, I will choose to use DME in every recipe that I can if it's available.

For this one, DME is basically 80% of the weight of the LME - as explained to me from my LHBS.

If the recipe called for 10 lbs of LIQUID extract (that's way high, I'm just using multiples of 10 for ease) then you would use 8 lbs of DRY extract.

.8*x = weight of DME
.8*10lb LME = 8 lb DME

So the formula for LME ( x ) from DME is:

.8%*x = 8 lb DME
x = 8/.8
x = 10

Sorry for all the algebra. Maybe others have an easier time of it :)

If you do end up using the LME note that your color will be affected a bit. The taste, not so much. I believe you'll want to use the "Extra Pale LME" to keep it as light as possible.

Any others with more experience, please chime in!

Hey All, just an FYI that there is apparently a shortage on Citra Hops this year. I went to order from Brewgadgets or AHS but neither have them in stock. I found them on Monsterbrew and picked up 5 oz and that left them with only 6 more packets in stock @ 2.99 a pop.
https://www.security-shopping-cart.com/MB/Prod_CitraHopPellets1oz.cfm

Get 'em while you can!

Man!!!! I gotta wait 1 or 2 more days for this to be ready!!! When I kegged this I also kegged Brandon O's graff. Set the psi at 30 and found the tank empty. The poppet on the Pirate keg wasn't sitting properly and drained my CO2. The Graff carb'd up but not the Pirate. Refilled CO2 today. Should be perfect by Wednesday's B's game.

Ok I will go with the dry. To replace the 2 row would I use the same dry light extract already called for by the recipe for a total of 8lbs?

Also, I have a looked a couple places for that particular yeast but cannot find it. Who sells that or what could be substituted for it?

Thanks!

Sorry for all the noob questions. In way over my head but I MUST make this beer. It sounds awesome!

J1 - that sucks. I also have some of Brando O's in the primary now. I have let it go a little longer than originally called for. May bottle sooner rather than later though. This was my first and I did a half batch.

AT, yeah, use the same Light DME for a total of 8 lbs. As for the yeast, you can find at AHS here: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10253
or here: http://www.brewgadgets.com/p-1037-american-ale-yeast-blend-wlp060.aspx

Note my message on the Citra hops above as well if you have not secured them yet.

We were all noobs once - I still am. This forum has been awesome for people just starting out. Ask away!

Now, what about brown sugar.... Are all created equal or are there some that are better for brewing? Just buy it from the grocery?

Brown sugar has a molasses taste to it. I have used the cheap Market Basket brand every time. The sugar also adds some fermentables

I'm pretty sure that brown sugar is all the same - molasses and white sugar mixed together. I'm going to use the bargain brand personally. Just make sure you get the "light" brown sugar as stated in the recipe - that has a lower molasses to white sugar ratio.

J1,
What's this Manilli Vanilli smoked porter and Orange Agent you have kegged? I'm curious about those recipes too if you can direct me :)

Thanks all for your help. My next batch is a Bourbon Ale and will start this one up after that. Will let you know how it turns out.

Pwortiz is right use light brown sugar, and the cheap stuff in this case works just fine. The other 2 recipes I can PM you tomorrow, when I have finally stopped pouring this Graff !

Since the recipe calls for adding yeast nutrient into the wort, is it necessary to make a yeast starter or just use the pouch of yeast as it comes. My local store carries WYeast brand. Which of their products would be good for this?

I always use yeast nutrient (aka Fermax), I don't know if it really helps at all. I am a White Labs guy, always liquid yeast and always make a 1L starter.

when using dry yeast should not need a starter.

If you are not adding the yeast nutrient to the wort just make sure to aerate your wort very well.

I don't have experience with that yeast. But, I can't see why it wouldn't work as long as it's a neutral, and alcohol tolerant strain.

My shavings vs chips....

IMG-20120501-00081.jpg

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they will too...I almost ordered the other ones but then thought, "wth....I should at least try this!" So, I am planning to use a muslin bag after sifting all the dusty particles out and just hanging on to the main chip pieces. Looking forward to it. Will be brewing on Tuesday I think!

BTW, how many days do you get your starter going prior to brewing? I figured I'd get it started Saturday afternoon/night and that would be enough time by Tuesday afternoon for pitching. I will most likely just pitch the whole thing and not decant.

Agree those chips are a-ok.

My starters is typically 36 hrs old when I pitch, and I pitch the whole thing and never decant. Haven't had any problems yet.

I brewed this one today. The only thing i altered in the recipe was adding in 2 C of sugar, figured its a strong ale...wth lets make it put my friends on their ass after having one, lol. Even with that extra sugar added I must have killed the efficiency (havent plugged into beer smith yet) but my OG came out at 1.091-1.092.

Oh i did screw up when making my starter, the WL060 was shaken by my son and i didnt realize it so when i opened it to add to the mini wort....yea, went all over. So what i did get added is now mixed with WL001 because thats what i had in the fridge. Kinda curious how the mix will turn out.

Back