Quad recipes....Specifically a good Rochefort 10 possibly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So I have been looking for a good quad recipe I can do coming up soon and I was specifically looking into rochefort 10 as it's a great one to base it off of. There are a few out there and I was wondering if anyone has really nailed it down to a really close clone or nailed it on the head?
I was thinking of oak aging some as I had the la trappe oak aged quad and it was absolutely the most delicious thing I've had in a LONG time!
Anyways, any thoughts on this or which one I should go with or stay away from?

Also I have a rochefort 10 in my fridge I was thinking of drinking soon. Should i try and make a starter with the yeast in the bottle and use that should I just make a starter with wyeast1762, wlp575, or something else?

Thanks!!

I just brewed Jamil's Belgian Dark Strong 3-4 weeks ago, it's still in the carboy. His beer won the gold medal in the category at the national homebrew competition back in 2006 or something. It's not a Rochefort 10 clone, but it is the same style.

If you want a solid BDS recipe, I'd go for it. It's in Brewing Classic Styles and he posted it online on a few sites, you can Google for it. I'm sure there are other recipes geared more towards a Rochefort clone, sorry I can't help there.

Wyeast 1762 / WLP540 are the Rochefort yeast, so you can grab one of those or get it from the bottle. You're gonna want to make a biiiiig starter and leave tons of headspace in the fermentor! Also plan to age it at least 6 months in the bottle.

Good luck! I'm excited to try mine once it's aged out.

Awesome! Thanks!
How much head space in fermentor would you suggest? would a 6.5 gal carboy with 5g of wort in it be sufficient or you suggest more?
Thanks! Looking forward to brewing this too!!
Good Luck Pawn!

Awesome! Thanks!
How much head space in fermentor would you suggest? would a 6.5 gal carboy with 5g of wort in it be sufficient or you suggest more?
Thanks! Looking forward to brewing this too!!
Good Luck Pawn!

You should be OK, but definitely use a blowoff tube! If you haven't gotten one set up yet this is the beer to do it for. At 1.1+ OG with a Belgian yeast it's gonna go nuts.

I had maybe 5.5 gallons in my 6.5 gallon carboy and had a ton of blowoff. I added some Fermcap and that calmed it down a little bit.

Also make sure you can control the temperature at least a little bit, you'll want to keep it cool initially then slowly let the temperature rise. You want to pitch in the mid-high 60s and slowly bring it up to 72 after a few days.

This was mentioned in another thread last week, but we should all exchange bottles of this stuff a couple years from now for comparison!

I used pils base, D2 syrup (3 or 4 packs in a 12gal batch, or whatever it was, I used double the amount of syrup commonly suggested), and maybe a pound and a half of caramunich. Used one of the Wyeast belgians... it wasn't trappist high grav... that's all I remember. Pitched a massive amount of yeast at 62, and raised a degree or so per day 'till it gets to 68. Sat on cake for 4 weeks, then in kegs under gas for 3 or 4 months, then beer-gunned into belgian bottles. Very clean, smooth, and rich. Reasonably close to the original, and certainly no worse.

IMO the trick is to use very few ingredients, up the D2 syrup, pitch a lot of yeast, and start the ferment on the cool side.

Oh btw, a good portion of the keg aging was done at 'cellar' temps. 50-55F or so. I just bought a bottle the other day. $7, ouch. My favourite non-funky dark strong.

Using all those ingredients was an old school approach to mimicking the taste of the dark syrup. I'm sure Roch doesn't use nearly that number of ingredients.

I have a Rochefort 10 clone I adapted from a mix of 3 recipes I found here, plus Sean Paxton's, plus candi syrups...I will let you know in a few months if it is close or not... :)

Good luck...and do use blowoffs...especially with 1762 yeast which I used...went nuts for a few days!!

I have a Rochefort 10 clone I adapted from a mix of 3 recipes I found here, plus Sean Paxton's, plus candi syrups...I will let you know in a few months if it is close or not... :)

Good luck...and do use blowoffs...especially with 1762 yeast which I used...went nuts for a few days!!

Yep, my JZ quad w/1762 bleweth off nicely this weekend. It's now receded, and I added table sugar to lower the FG. Smells like heaven already; I'm on the edge of my seat with cautious optimism!

BTW, I added some chocolate wheat to the remaining grains and ran off a nice 1.060 stout parti-gyle style. That one is coming along well too.

My turned out AWESOME! However...it doesn't taste much like Rochefort 10...at all. :)

Actually the beer it most closely resembles is Ommegang's Art of Darkness, which I like also so I am ok with it.

Wow I forgot about this thread! Thanks for bringing it back.

Mine turned out... okay. For some reason it never fully carbonated, and as a result I haven't drank a lot of it. I've tried rousing a few times, and the bottles have been at least 70 degrees. I haven't re-yeasted or anything like that.

The bottles that I've tried have tasted really good, but without the carbonation the mouthfeel is pretty thick. It's very very malty, which you would expect with the Munich, Aromatic, Melanoidin and CaraMunich malts all in there. I really like it, I just wish it carbonated :-(

Meanwhile I learned my lesson and I've re-yeasted my other big beers before bottling, that's worked great so far. I'm not sure if it would be better to try and mess with this one (re-yeast or even carefully pour into a keg) or just drink them flat and try again down the road.

Back