Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacomaguy20

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was hoping to get some suggestions from everyone as to what to do for a fermentation area as my freezer just went out. I was able to ferment about 4 or 5 carboys in it at the same time and kept it temperature controlled with my Ranco digital. This got me thinking rather than replacing the freezer, to see what other options were available. I was thinking I might need a larger area than just that freezer.

A couple of details:

I live in Arizona so the temperature can get pretty hot in summer and cold
at night in the winter. Not typically freezing temps though.

I brew beer and make wine as well.. so temperature should be adjustable

I have a lot of free space inside the house as well as a good amount of room in my garage.

House is air conditioned, garage is not. I usually turn the ac off to save money on the electric during the day. AC is Expensive and the Freezer didn't use that much power.

I would like to do something fairly inexpensive.

Thoughts? Any input is appreciated.

Buy another freezer on craigslist. Probably the easiset thing to do. You should be able to get one under $100.

I did look on craigslist but the freezers were all smaller than I need. I don't know if I can find one as large as I have for that inexpensive. Mine is about 25cf and I would like even more space than that so I might need two of them. While looking through the forum, I've seen people building walk in cooler rooms that looked like they would be fairly cheap to build and give them good space. What do you think about something like that? I was also thinking of maybe just taking an empty room in the house and putting a wall unit in it or something?

Back