getting my water tested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illadelph89

Reaction score
finally decided to get brewsmith2 and noticed the water make up part is pretty interesting and it would help my brewing to get my water tested. i contacted ward labs and got the pricing. the 26 dollar one only tests for 2 more minerals iron and fluoride. i know i don't have fluoride in my water but i have an artisan well that might have iron. do you think its worth 10 more dollars to basically test for iron.
cheer:mug:

is it worth it to you? ten bucks is not much money to me so i would do it, then i'd know about the iron in my water.

Do you have public water or are you pulling from a well? If its public, it is most likely documented already.

eastoak- i do agree with you, i guess its just the fact 10 more dollars for one thing. plus i didnt know if iron was that important
msarro- i have ann artisan well in my backyard

I'm about to do the same thing and wondered the same question. Is this really worth checking out?

Iron and manganese are two ions that make themselves quite apparent at very low levels. If you don't percieve metallic tastes in the water or see rust or black stains on the house plumbing fixtures, then you probably don't have a problem. In the absence of these perceptions, you can save your money and not test for them. If you think there are these perceptions, then go ahead and test.

artesian well.

an artisan well would be a well installed by a local well driller using old school techniques and made to look pretty while be overly expensive.

on that note though, do you have a true artesian well, as in there is no pump and the water just gets pushed up to the surface by natural pressure? that would be pretty sweet. i know they occur all over the world, i've just never encountered one.

Back