New to forum, made 2 AG's this week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99blackgt

Reaction score
How's it going. I've been poking around a bit on this forum, basically just to search things i had questions about, but was not signed up until today. My name is Brett. Me and two of my friends have been brewing since last February.

We started with a single extract brew (which was SICK :drunk:) and then decided to move on to partial mash. We're all about experimenting and trying out new ideas. We have done american ales, mead, imperial stout, bocks, amber, brown, wheat, and even a beer with sugar, honey, and peanuts which actually turned out to be a decent 13% heavy stout.

Anyways, now i'm getting into all grain, made my fourth all grain last night. Figured i need to hop on here, learn more about scheduling, and consistency if i want to take any of this seriously.

Our current setup is composed of 3 turkey deep fry kits (for burners and makeshift mash tun) and 4 glass carboys. I have 3 old kegs i'm planning to cut up to try and make 15 gal setups, and i'm lookin for idea's on that. I need to find a better way to mash. I had built on in a cooler, out of CPVC but it broke after i used it one time (the slots i cut in the PVC allowed it to snap, my fault, should have gone brass) But the beer was good.

Anyways, sorry for the long posts, here are my two all grains i did this week

Doppelbock

12.5# American 2-row
2# Chocolate malt
2# crystal 80l
1.5# Demaro Sugar

1oz Willamet 4.6% (45min)
1oz Cascade 6.3% (30min)
1ox willamet 4.6% (10min)

Batch size 7.5 gallons (that was tricky)
Final size 6 gallons

SG 1.065

It looks good, i think i was doing something wrong in mashing. I got about 5 gallons out of it, sg on that (before boil) was 1.035 ish. Started to boil that and sparaged the grains more, had runoff that was still 1.030 ish, so i figured i'd pull some more wort off the grains, got another 2.5 gallons before i just quit. So i put 4 gallons in each of my burners and boiled them separately to try and get it down to 5.5 gallons, but i gave up after some time and ended up filling up my car boy all most to the neck. Have to run a tube off this one, haha.

E.S.B

12# American 2-row
1.5# Crystal 80l
1# roasted non malted barley

2oz Challenger (40 min)
1oz Challenger (15 min)

SG 1.052

What do you guys think? Recipes may not be exactly dead on for what they are supposed to be, I'm still VERY new with the all grain and trying things out. I did a 125* rest for 30min, 150* for 30 min, and sparaged at 170ish for both beers. With the exception of the additional sparaging of the bock

Back