3944 starter got warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sendkyleanemail

Reaction score
Due to a drastic and unexpected change in weather, the 3944 (Belgian Wit) starter I had going got up to about 78F today, after 24 hours at 70F. It's prolly ok, right?

Ya your fine. Warm starters can actually be good in that yeast activity is accelerated and flavor of a starter doesn't really matter. As long as you weren't in the high 80s or above should be fine. Above those temps and you can kill off all the buggers

Actually the best temp for your starter would be about 85-100F. So you are OK. Above 105F and you have problems.

Best to chill and decant the starter before pitching, especially if you grew your yeast at elevated temps.

When you introduce your yeast to the beer, try to match temps between the yeast and the beer before you pitch.

I figure it would be ok...but this is my first time using this yeast. First Wit, altogether, actually.

Starter chilling now. Prolly gonna brew Thursday, So I figure I'll take the yeast out of the fridge when I get started, then decant and pitch with temps as close to matching as possible.

image-3209170039.jpg

Seems like its doing just fine!

Back