Post-boil cooling...outside OK??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flic

Reaction score
I will be doing my first AG brew next weekend and I have a 10g stainless pot I will be using to make a 5-gal batch. I will be boiling my brew outside using a propane cooker on the patio. I have a wort chiller and initially planned to bring it inside and hook the chiller up to the kitchen faucet to let it cool. I then realized I may not be able to get that pot inside (painful lower back at the moment). I'm also a bit wary about trying to move 5+gallons of near boiling wort. I was concerned about chilling outside due to bugs, dirt etc and also I am in Florida so the temp will be about 90 degrees which will not help. If my wife is home, I'd feel better about both of us being able to get it inside, but I am not going to do it by myself. What is the best way to handle this??:confused:

I cool outside with every batch. Before I cool I just shut the garage door. Once I get the chiller into the pot I put a towel over it. Never had a problem.

You think that will be a problem. 5gal in a 10gal pot. I boil 5.5gal in a 6.5gallon

+1, and I carry it from the burner to the sink by my self....Wouldn't reccomend that to anyone though.

Yeah I have to carry from the kitchen, Down a hall, down a half flight of stairs and out into the garage. Not fun.

I was concerned about chilling outside due to bugs, dirt etc and also I am in Florida so the temp will be about 90 degrees which will not help.

I always chill outside; no problems thus far.

I brew outside in my screened-in porch in central FL and have never had a problem. Carrying the carboy inside, that's a problem.

I chill outside with only the roof of my back porch covering the wort. Covering with a towel or portion of the lid is probably a better idea, but I haven't had issues yet.

Back