5500W Heat Element to LED

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alefebvre

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I am wiring up my new setup which will be wired using the diagram below. Instead of a PID I will be using a PWM. I would like the LED (that I added to the following diagram to come on at the same time as power is sent to the element.

Is this the best way to wire it?

Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-30c1-e-stop.jpg

This is one way to wire it but the LED brightness will vary with the PWM setting.

Another way would be to wire a lower voltage LED across the SSR input and put a capacitor in parallel with the LED then a diode in series with the set. The capacitor will keep the LED on bright and the diote will prevent the capacitor from also keeping the SSR turned on all the time.

I'd really just like to keep the setup like I have defined in the diagram as I already have all the parts. I'm just mainly concerned with the 220v light leeching any power that would be going to my heating element.

I'd really just like to keep the setup like I have defined in the diagram as I already have all the parts. I'm just mainly concerned with the 220v light leeching any power that would be going to my heating element.
The light will draw less than a milliamp. No worries.

I have just one more question hopefully someone can help. I got my switch today for this diagram. I went with a DPST illuminated 15/30a 250v (KCD4). How would I wire this up?

Incase you can't see the writing on the switch, One side has 2b, 2, 2a and the other side has 1b, 1, 1a. No prongs are attached to the 1b and 2b ports.

photo 1 (1).jpg

photo 2 (1).jpg

Do you have a multi meter?
If you do, test the switch and figure out how to hook it up.
If you don't, go get one now before moving on with your build. It's really essential if you are going to be doing this kind of project.
That being said, I would guess that 1 and 2 are the incoming terminals to be connected to the SSR and 1a and 2a are the outgoing terminals to be hooked up to the element. No prongs on the b terminals because its a DPST and not a DPDT.

Back