First attempt. Need advice on how to proceed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wunderduck

Reaction score
I started my first hard cider this past wednesday, 3/14, recipe and observations as follow:

-Day 1: Into a 5 gallon carboy I added 4 gallons of preservative free, store brand apple juice. I dissolved 2lbs brown sugar and 1/4 tsp potassium metabisulfate into 1/2 gallon of the same juice and added it to the carboy. I let this sit overnight.

-Day 2: Pitched 1 packet EC-1118 champagne yeast. OG=1.066

-Day 3(24 hours after pitch): airlock bubbling @ 4 bubbles/minute

-Day 4: (morning) added 4 tsp yeast nutrient (evening) bubbling @ 20/minute

-Day 5: bubbling @ 1/second

-Day 6: bubbling ~80/minute

-Day 7(today): (morning) observed slowing of airlock, a little slower than 1/second (afternoon) marked decrease in bubbling, 7/min. SG=1.000

Taste test: No discernible apple flavor, or sweetness, not surprising at 1.000 I guess. Tastes a little like cheap, dry champagne. It doesn't taste "bad", I can drink it without gagging, but it's definitely not good at this point.

My goal was a semi-dry cider, so I've over shot and don't want to ferment anymore. Should I add potassium sorbate, or something similar when I rack to secondary? Cold crashing is out of the question without emptying my entire fridge.

Is there anything I need to/ can do at this point?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-JC

because you used ec-1118 you have no choice but to let it ferment out dry unless you pasteurize it. That yeast doesn't cold crash well and sorbate will do nothing to an active ferment. The apple flavor will come back, but if you want a little more flavor you could add 1 can of apple juice concentrate. Make sure if you do add concentrate that you either pasteurize or you let it clear, rack, let it drop more lees rack it again, and repeat the process until it quits dropping lees (probably take several racking and several months) THEN add the sorbate let it sit 12 hours then add the concentrate.

Thanks, I'm going to try to clear it a bit before I bottle so I guess i'll rack it and let it sit for a while.

Back