Conical sanitation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kydan47

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have been using the blichmann conical for a short while and am learning some of its pro's & con's, and am wondering what others do with the racking arm? It came w/ the 1/2" std fittings e.g. Bottom ball valve, etc., but I am hesitant to take a sample using the racking arm before final racking with only a limited ability to sanitize. Has anyone had any issues w/ contamination after taking a sample and prior to final racking, or contamination at a later date that they felt could have been from earlier sampling? Just hoping to avoid a mistake. Any other advice greatly appreciated!

Dan F.
LAGERS/FOSSILS

I have put about 7 batches in mine, and drawn at least one sample from each. I keep sanitizer in a spray bottle, and just squirt some in the barb after I shut the valve to flush it out. Hold a small cup or paper towel underneath to catch the run-off. The Blicmann manual does advise not to rotate the arm until ready to keg/bottle, in order to avoid a leak. Never had any spoilage issues,

Have been using the blichmann conical for a short while and am learning some of its pro's & con's, and am wondering what others do with the racking arm? It came w/ the 1/2" std fittings e.g. Bottom ball valve, etc., but I am hesitant to take a sample using the racking arm before final racking with only a limited ability to sanitize. Has anyone had any issues w/ contamination after taking a sample and prior to final racking, or contamination at a later date that they felt could have been from earlier sampling? Just hoping to avoid a mistake. Any other advice greatly appreciated!

Dan F.
LAGERS/FOSSILS

I do the same as scratchy1971. Flush with sanitizer well, then cap. The little cap off of a carboy cover is perfect. No problems yet. I take the conical apart between uses and boil all small parts to sanitize the tubes and valves before use.

Thnx, sounds like there have been many people using the racking arm for sampling followed by Star San, etc. I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Much obliged!

Dan F.
LAGERS/FOSSILS

Back