Difference between using dried hops and fresh hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atakanokan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have some dried hops available, so I curiously wonder if there is a difference between dried and fresh hops addition to the wort in the aspect of AAUs and bitterness.

Using fresh hops is called wet hopping. I don't think it gives any more AA% or bittering,just a different sort of flavor.

I've always heard that it takes 4X the amount of wet hops to = the utilization of dry hops due to the way the oils are utilized in each form. You also can only really use wet hops within a day or two of harvest, which is in the early fall here in the northern hemisphere. If it's not right off the vine, it isn't going to add a pleasent taste/aroma to the beer.

There really aren't many good reasons to use fresh wet hops IMHO unless you actually have direct access to the vines.

I've always heard that it takes 4X the amount of wet hops to = the utilization of dry hops due to the way the oils are utilized in each form. You also can only really use wet hops within a day or two of harvest, which is in the early fall here in the northern hemisphere. If it's not right off the vine, it isn't going to add a pleasent taste/aroma to the beer.

There really aren't many good reasons to use fresh wet hops IMHO unless you actually have direct access to the vines.

I dont think it has to do with the way the hops oils are utilized. I think it just has to do with the fact that wet hops are just that,full of water.

If you stick 1oz of dry hops in a batch, you proably need 4-5oz of wet hops to get the same amount of lupulin into the wort. Those 4-5oz of wet hops if dried down to 1oz would be the same as your store bought 1oz, if that makes sense.

Seems that the general rule of thumb is to use 10% more or so of leaf hops over pellets. The reason being that the pellets are already crushed and the glands which contain the essence have been bursted open and isomerization takes place more readily due to increased surface area.

Not sure what the article says, but this month's BYO (which just arrived at my house today) has an article on wet hops. Maybe check that out.

Back