tips and tricks for high gravity beer fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester5120

Reaction score
I'm looking for unique advice for high gravity beers. Ive heard of lot of the tips such as massive starter and proper aeration. Ive got one giant beer under my belt but was looking for anyone's unique or interesting advice.

Big beers are all about pitching rate and 02 levels. It doesn't hurt to have some pure oxygen and to add a second shot of 02 after 24 hours. That and being really patient with the aging!

I'm pitching onto a yeast cake from a previous beer and adding a 2 liter starter of wlp099 later. Aeration and temperature should be taken care of

How big? If it is too big, you will kill the yeast before they get started. Too much sugar can kill the yeast; for many really big beers, people feed the yeast with sugars over time.

The initial beer is going to be around 1.100 and ill feed it with sugars. It's similar to Sean paxtons 120 minute ipa clone

Back