Grain to glass in 2 weeks suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
So the wife (mostly) and I (less so) decided we're having a holiday open house/ party in 2 weeks. Timing couldn't be worse w/r/t my supply right now. I just kicked one keg and the other seems to have only 1/4 left.

So now this weekend I'd like to brew two batches. Both need to be drinkable in 14 days.

Looking for some recipe thoughts in here. What came to mind first was BM's Centennial Blonde but I'd also like something a little more seasonal. I have a smoked porter recipe that is passable in two weeks. What about a nice dry stout? I've never made one but a low abv dry irish stout would be good. Would it be ready in two weeks?

I think passable is accurate in this time frame. I would think you would need to have a very low gravity beer to fit this short time frame.

You can probably make a hefe to be drinkinable within two weeks. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/hefeweizen-73242/
In the second post, Beerific says he got that recipe from grain to glass in two weeks. Edwort also has a Bavarian Hefe Recipe on here, I'd try for something like that.

The only beer I got ready within 2 weeks was a Coopers Mexican Cerveza canned kit :p
...given I haven't tried one of those mentioned recipes yet. Will be making one mid December though! Goodluck!

Low abv is the key. Now i know why I thought of the Centennial Blonde:

This is also a simple, hard to screw up recipe. At just around 4%, this is a quaffer. Due to the lighter grain bill…this is easily a beer that can go from grain to glass in 2 weeks (if you keg).

Hefe is another good idea, although I equate those with summertime.

Do a Belgian Wit with WLP400 yeast - it's super quick if fermented at the right temps

This is pretty darn close to Goose Islands 312

90% pale 2-row
10% torrified wheat

1/2oz cascade @ 15 minutes
1/2oz cascade @ 0 minutes

Shoot for 20-23 ibu's and no more than 5% abv. Use white labs 007 and O2 if you have it. FYI, 312 goes from grain to bottle in 9 days.

I don't have the ability to get any more yeast but I do have a good variety on hand:

s-05
s-04
wy1272 (washed)
wy1099 - propigator
wy1028 - prop
wyeast belgian wit

I'm not familiar with 312? What is it?

This is pretty darn close to Goose Islands 312

90% pale 2-row
10% torrified wheat

1/2oz cascade @ 15 minutes
1/2oz cascade @ 0 minutes

Shoot for 20-23 ibu's and no more than 5% abv. Use white labs 007 and O2 if you have it. FYI, 312 goes from grain to bottle in 9 days.

You think he'd get 20-23 IBU's with that hop schedule?

I don't have the ability to get any more yeast but I do have a good variety on hand:

s-05
s-04
wy1272 (washed)
wy1099 - propigator
wy1028 - prop
wyeast belgian wit

I'm not familiar with 312? What is it?

S-05 clears fast! maybe do a blonde ale and a pale?

i'd look at a wit and an english mild. those can be grain to glass in 2 weeks, but barely. that'll take the wit and the s04 yeasts

Hope you got a keg, then? Looks like you do, do a wheat beer or mild ale.Pretty much do a session beer.Blonde, mild ,wheat,generic light pale ale maybe. Surprise em and dryhopp it the last week. Just make certain your pitch rates and fermentation temps are good. Thats a lot of pressure for the time frame if something like ph was off or one of the above. Just try them before hand but if they arnt ready they arnt,just the way it is but you be the judge of that i guess.

85% 2 row
8% munich 10
7% cara 45

50.7 IBU Magnum 60 min
25.7 IBU CTZ 30 min
3.4 IBU cascade 5 min
1.6 IBU Citra 1 min
WLP 007 or S-05

I think you could easily do just about anything shy of 7ish% brew it, ferment it, filter it, force carb it.

a pumpkin ale is always nice. I've had great results with 11 days in the primary, force carb and serve in 3 days. I find if you leave a pumpkin ale fermenting too long you loose alot of the actuall pumpkin taste and aroma. IMO.

Lots of great stuff in here. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm leaning towards a blonde using the s-05. It will be a good middle of the road beer for the macro drinkers to try.

However I'm looking for thoughts on brewing Yuri Rage's Stout. It'll use the s-04, which i've never actually used before but it's good to hear that it really cleans up. Here is the recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/black-project-stout-84231/

In another great post by yuri he talks about this stout being really good in <14 days. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/aging-beer-facts-myths-discussion-84005/

Am I crazy to do this stout?

I'd do a lower gravity pale ale and hop the shiz out of it. Tasty -- and the hops will cover yeasty/green flaws. Control ferm temp, cold crash that sucker and speed carb it.

Do a wheat beer man. They ferment really quick and they're meant to be drunk young. Most of them are easy to make with only one small hop addition at 60 mins, as the yeast gives off a lot of flavor (I think you said you had a Belgian wit yeast). If it were me I would go with that. I've had wheat beers finish in 4 days. That then gives you time to let it settle then keg. That gives you more than enough time to make sure it's ok before your day.

I like the idea of a Wit Beer of some sort, but I don't think I'd want a house full of BMC drinker's pouring down a delicious, yeast laden beer!
Your bathroom may explode!:(

I'd stick with a simple, low alc beer. Pitch properly, aerate, contol ferm temps, raise temps as fermentation nears the end, cold crash for a day, and add gelitin to the keg.

2 weeks shouldn't be any problem at all.

Bull

312 is a goose island beer, it's a good beer and they sell alot of it in this area, most people seem to like it.

I like the idea of the wit but I don't have any Belgian wheat on hand and can't get it before brew day (tomorrow!). I'd like to really use that yeast in a proper wit recipe instead of just using regular wheat.

If this was me (and it kinda is) I would do a wheat beer with orange zest and dried cranberries.

The other one? A low ABV pale ale hopped with "piney" hops would be fitting.

I would brew an Anchor Christmas clone but adjust gravity to ferment a bit faster...just an idea.

I did an apricot pale that turned out good in two weeks. It was quite simple 6LBS pilsner extract 1.5LBS biscuit malt, 1LB crystal malt.I added the apricot concentrate with the priming sugar.

That beer was great even 1 year later.

Zamial said:
If this was me (and it kinda is) I would do a wheat beer with orange zest and dried cranberries.

What do you get from the dried cranberries? Just curious.

I've done Orfy's English Mild in around 10 days and it tastes great. Like said before, low ABV is key.

Pretty much any low-gravity wheat with fruit flavors to mask the greenness.

Pay extra attention to the finer details like ferm temp because you won't be aging out any mistakes.

Dry hop an american wheat beer or wheat pale ale hybrid.Lightly sweet lightly hoppy and clean crisp and dry session low abv beer.Thats how a beginner could like it,i think. oR try an english bitter ive seen og's as low as 1.028.Or was it .038?

S04 clears faster, I'd use that at low temps.

Word.

I'm a fan of both US-04 and 05.

04 is for my enlish varities, 05 is for everything else. Funny how it seems that 04 always,for me at least, starts first. I've never done a split batch expirement, but still, 04 seems to be able to ferment the flock out of sheep.

RIS? No prob. Got a 9.6% in the 3rd week of secondary that it did quite nicely upon (1.091 to 1.024)

Double Brew Day is here!

Here is recipe #1. Pretty much BMs Centennial Blonde with MO:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.69 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 4.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
12.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.6 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.7 %
8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4 5.7 %

0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 55.0 min Hop 5 8.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 35.0 min Hop 6 7.3 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 2.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 1.9 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -

TacoGuthrie said:
Low abv is the key. Now i know why I thought of the Centennial Blonde:

Hefe is another good idea, although I equate those with summertime.

Dunkelweizen instead. I did one I was drinking after 2.5 weeks bottle conditioned. Could be even sooner. You can package as soon as it's finished fermenting. In the old days they would sometimes package before it was finished so it would carb the bottle with the end of the first fermentation. I have never got any type of "green" flavors from this beer.

Back