Cold conditioning bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenSoop

Reaction score
I drank my first brewed beer Friday. It was in the bottle 3 weeks, then in the fridge 48 hours.

The 500 milli-liter bottle was so perfect, a real beer, no sign of green.
However, the larger 1 liter bottle, was still slightly green.

My thoughts are that the larger 1L bottle took longer to cool down, so did not get the full effect of the 48 hour cold conditioning.

To test this theory, I'll put both the 500 ml and 1L in the fridge for 5 days (today) and test them both next Friday, in 5 days.

Anyone else come across this issue?

As I understand cold conditioning, the goal is to flocculate the yeast out of suspension. So, it makes sense that larger volumes take longer to cold condition. Let me know how your test goes.

I'll repost to this thread on Friday/Saturday.

I'll see if this is cold conditioning related, or if bigger bottles take longer than 3 weeks to condition.

The larger bottles do seem to take a little more time to fully condition, I usually leave them at room temp for at least an extra week or two before rotating them into the fridge.

Back