mashing with ice mountain spring water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water report:
http://www.icemountainwater.com/KnowH2O/OurSources.aspx

is this a good idea?

I'm on a well, and I haven't had it tested. I was gonna use Ice mountain spring to mash a porter.

7.0 lb 2-row
3.5 lb munich
0.5 lb chocolate
0.5 lb c60
0.5 lb black patient

The ranges given for the ions are so wide as to be nearly useless, most municipal supplies would fall within those ranges.

Its likely that the source varies and the composition varies. I think you would be better off buying RO and building your water from that.

I'm sure its fine water, its just impossible to predict the mash pH with it.

maybe someday i'll read up on water chemistry, but right now I have no desire to mess with building water.

what about using some buffer 5.2 in ice mountain spring?

I've used Ice Mountain spring water a number of times, for whatever that's worth. Sometimes using 5.2, sometimes not. Can't say I've ever detected any specific difference between using 5.2 or not, but then I've never done a side by side or any specific testing. As general water goes I'm sure it's pretty much on par with most regular water supplies. I use it because I've had poor luck with my house water. Sometimes I use all ice Mountain, and sometimes I mash with Ice Mountain and use cheaper RO water for sparging.

Back