Can you guys help me make my own recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODUBrew

Reaction score
I've made a couple beers now but always followed recipes and now I want to try and craft my own but don't know where to start really. I'm thinking I wanted to do a stout and brew it with maple syrup and hazelnuts but I have no idea what grains I should use, how much hops, or how much maple syrup and hazelnuts. I was thinking 1lb of maple syrup would do well but I've got no idea on the hazelnuts and was also thinking it would be about 50ibu so the flavors of the syrup and hazelnuts are more prevalent. Any help is much needed and even more appreciated, thanks guys.

Oh and I know for a stout its mostly roasted barley for the grains and I'm hoping to have it around 6-6.5%abv.

Extract or AG?

For AG you could start with something like:

7.50 lbs Pale Malt
1.50 lbs Wheat Malt
1.00 lbs C120
0.75 lbs Chocolate Malt
0.50 lbs Roasted Barley
1.00 lbs Maple Syrup

You can play with the roast, chocolate, and crystal depending on what flavors you want, and the volumes depending on efficiency. I like hops like Fuggle and EKG in stouts, but there are certainly many others that work well. I've never used hazelnuts, so maybe someone else can speak to those. I would imagine you could grind them down and add the ground hazelnut to the end of the boil.

Easiest way to do hazelnut is adding extract at bottling. You can make test samples to get the correct ratio then do the math and double check before actually bottling.

Latest posts

Back