Dead yeast or no

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KD28

Reaction score
Howdy, I'm a noobe on this forum and looking for advice.

I'm an idiot about brewing as this is only my 5th batch.
I made a batch of Coopers and I already know I put in to much sugar. Made Mr. Beer before with the can and a bag of booster, so I didnt even think about it. I put in the can of Coopers with the bags of malt they gave me at the store and added sugar I got too. Priming sugar. The Mr Beers I used just had a can and booster.

Anyway, I added the sugar plus everything to the Coopers and found out I didnt need the sugar. I got worried about exploding bottles in my reloading room (thats where I have it to keep it at a constant temp) and put 1 case in a cold store room about 35-40 degrees. The other case is on one of my reloading benches still.

I tried 1 of each tonight and the 1 in the warm reloading room was much better tasting than the cold stored 1. The warm 1 was not over carbinated like I was worrying.

They still have 2 weeks to get to the 6 week mark, (I'm impatient) but was wondering if I could put the cold 1 back in the warm room and finish it out. The cold one was only in the warm room about 3 days before I got nervouse and moved it.

My actual question is, does the yeast actually die in the cold or does it just go dormant? If I put the cold 1 back in the warm room would it come back and start going again? Its drinkable but fairly sweet cause of the extra sugar I'm sure.

Reloading ammo is my field and I'm brand new at making beer, so I dont know much about it. I try the search things and have bad luck with them too as I'm also a compooter retard. I'm pretty happy with the beer so far, but would like a little advice.
Thanks

If its cold for too long, dont quote me, but wont it for a cake on the bottom and you'd have to shake up for it to continue to work. The yeast dont die, they go dormant and you need to get it up to room temp for them to wake up, or if all your fermentable sugar is gone in your brew they will remain dormant even after raising the temperature.

Thanks bud, thats what I wanted to know. Think I'll put it back in the warmer room, give them a little shake and see what happens.:mug:

Back