Brita vs Other Faucet Water Filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
Is brita the best or is there something that is better? They go for about $27 here and the cartridges go for $22. i usually spend about $6-7 on bottled water every batch. would it be worth picking up one of these? or should i pick up a couple of those 5 gallon water jugs so i can fill em up for 50 cents a gallon at the grocery store?

how hard is your water? depending on your tap situation will depend on if you even need to filter. i have somewhat "hardwater" and if i am doing a pale ale i will use my tapwater or i will buy distilled at the grocery store.

not real sure i don't really drink my tap water. I do know it comes from Lake Michigan though and Three Floyds uses it. I should ask them if they filter it. They do win awards for their beers. I don't really care for the taste of my tap water so I figured I would invest in a water filter.

I use a PUR carbon filter. It's identical to a Brita filter, only it is an adapter that runs the purified water directly from the faucet (think Brita does that also). I live in Seattle and the water is fine to use in most all-grain batches without any filtration, though I do notice a significant improvement in taste with filtration. If you are doing extract batches, then I would suggest picking one of these up. They can do a recommended 100gals of water before needing to be changed. That should save you around 100 dollars and all the effort of dragging bottled water home from the grocery.

Now if you are doing all-grains you would have to know your water's chemistry. Which, in the end, you may ultimately have to carry a few bottles of distilled water on the side.

you have a link to the one you have? did the math it will cost me $27+tax to pick up one of those brita on tap filters. and at 100 gallons per filter it will cost about .27 a gallon which the cheapest i've ever paid is around $.6 a gallon. is there a way to attach some kind of tubing to it so that i can run it into a bucket rather than filling milk jugs?

they both look to be about equal price. do you know if the brita one has a switch to not filter water? would hate to unhook it all the time just to rehook it when brewing.

I believe it does: "2 stream feature for regular tap and filtered water."

alright thanks the reason i'm leaning towards brita is because that's all the store i work at sells and i hate driving all over the place in the snow

if you have an autosiphon take a large pitcher and fill it up part way and start siphoning from the pitcher in your sink to your kettle on the floor. Just leave the water running into your pitcher and you can siphon as much as you need. The water level in the pitcher will get low but the siphon will continue until you turn off the water.:rockin:

or should i pick up a couple of those 5 gallon water jugs so i can fill em up for 50 cents a gallon at the grocery store?

I've never had a problem just taking one of my better bottles to the grocery store refill station. It's a good thing I'm honest, because a 6 gallon carboy looks a heck of a lot like a 5 gallon water jug.

/I wouldn't try this glass, since I wouldn't want to risk breaking it in the store.

Please don't drink tab water, it may contain parasites and other harmful chemicals. Use Brita filter, its good and also economical. I have installed Brit and I'm quite satisfied. Other than that you can get more information in this article https://waterfilteronly.com/zero-water-vs-brita/
its really helpful and informative.
hope it helps, stay healthy
cheers!

Please don't drink tab water, it may contain parasites and other harmful chemicals. Use Brita filter, its good and also economical. I have installed Brit and I'm quite satisfied. Other than that you can get more information in this article https://waterfilteronly.com/zero-water-vs-brita/
cheers!
I was just going to make a smart-assed comment about the parasites. Then I remembered a few days ago I read about a brain eating parasite discovered in a Louisiana public water system. Filtered it is!

Is brita the best or is there something that is better? They go for about $27 here and the cartridges go for $22. i usually spend about $6-7 on bottled water every batch. would it be worth picking up one of these? or should i pick up a couple of those 5 gallon water jugs so i can fill em up for 50 cents a gallon at the grocery store?
I’ve had both the PUR and brita systems when I lived in SoCal and the water was awful from the tap..and I honestly couldnt tell any difference except the tap water tasted much, much better.

cheers!

Nice necro, especially since all your posts are about buying water filter systems.

Also, nearly all water systems are either amazing or good. For drinking from. The few that are the exception are the ones we remember and think of (Flint anyone?).

You people are funny. I get wanting to use optimal quality water for your beer because we're perfectionists, but tap water won't hurt you. We live in the USA. Freak things like Flint are just freak things. People also have gotten flesh eating bacteria from swimming in lakes and bitten by sharks in the ocean. Maybe just don't go near water period.

But seriously to people going through multiple cases of bottled water each batch like the OP before his Brita...ENVIRONMENT. You **** on mother nature for too long and we won't have hops or barley for our beer

Back