We all know it goes great with beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not the best but it's simple. I use 1/4 cup hot sauce, 1/4 cup BBQ sauce, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup red wine. Then I add some misc. herbs and seasonings. Fry it until the sauce reduces.

Butter and Franks RedHot. Saute a little garlic in the butter before mixing in the RedHot and then toss in crispy UN-BATTERED wings to coat.

More butter/less RedHot if you like mild. More RedHot/less butter if you like hot. Franks Extra Hot if you don't want to actually taste the food but just burn your mouth.

Butter and Franks RedHot. Saute a little garlic in the butter before mixing in the RedHot and then toss in crispy UN-BATTERED wings to coat.

More butter/less RedHot if you like mild. More RedHot/less butter if you like hot. Franks Extra Hot if you don't want to actually taste the food but just burn your mouth.

so you are frying the wings in the sauce? sounds good, i usually bake the wings, then dip in the butter, franks combo.

so you are frying the wings in the sauce? sounds good, i usually bake the wings, then dip in the butter, franks combo.

Nope, the sauce is made separate and then the wings are tossed to coat after frying. I do saute the sauce so that it is warm, however. Lets it thicken a bit to stick better as well.

Thats pretty much how we make buffalo sauce, simple and tasty! Some places use ranch/blue cheese dressing instead of butter and garlic but they are both good.

Simple, quick, and flexible:

1 part melted butter
1 part "sauce"
2 gloves minced garlic (I use a garlic press)

The sauce can be whatever you want to suit your needs. If you like it spicy, use tabasco or your hot sauce of choice. When cooking for a mixed crowd, I use a nice smoky barbecue sauce and then throw in a few splashes of jalapeno hot sauce.

I usually grill the wings, let them cool for a minute or two, then toss them in the sauce and serve.

Eric

I think you ment burn your a$$.....lol

I just went to this wing place up in portland oregon, they had these cilantro lime wing sauce that was so awesome. I bought a couple bottles of that sauce, I would love to mimic it. it was kinda chunky like salsa but still had that hot wing flavor that you would get from a frank's red hot wing sauce. man it was so good.

I agree with those that keep it simple. I prefer texas pete + butter, however, I would say the best hot sauce recipe is:

Your favorite hot suace + enough butter to get the amount of heat you want (more butter = less heat). Don't cheap out and use margarine (yuck!!)

That's it.

I've made this with Texas Pete, Louisiana, Tabasco and even Great Value. They're all great, though - as I said - I prefer the taste of Texas Pete.

Add a dab of tabasco and you have a famous franchise's recipe ;)

I marinate my wings (approx 10 wings with the third little section cut off) in a large ziploc for a day or two in Sirachi (maybe 8 - 10 tablespoons) and a couple dashes of worchestire sauce.... then grill to well done to render as much fat as possible.

After plating I drizzle stubs bbq (or your favorite) sauce on them and cover with foil for a few minutes to help the bbq sauce spread out and coat the wings.

No complaints thus far :)... enjoy.

I'm in the KISS camp on wings. Franks/LHS/Texas Pete/Crystal + butter + a little Tabasco. Deep fried only, crispy. Shaken in the sauce immediately after coming out of the fryer (important detail imo).

And I forget the brand name for the bleu cheese dressing but it's in the salad section (refrigerated) and it's called Super Bleu Cheese dressing. They also make a Chunky Bleu Cheese dressing...not that one...get the Super. It's got a lot of crumbled bleu cheese in it. I always dip the wings in BC dressing.

And I forget the brand name for the bleu cheese dressing but it's in the salad section (refrigerated) and it's called Super Bleu Cheese dressing. They also make a Chunky Bleu Cheese dressing...not that one...get the Super. It's got a lot of crumbled bleu cheese in it. I always dip the wings in BC dressing.

Is it Marie's? That stuff is the best for both blue cheese and caesar. The blue cheese is nice and chunky. It's usually located right where the lettuce and stuff is, with the higher end dressings, in my supermarket.

Is it Marie's? That stuff is the best for both blue cheese and caesar. The blue cheese is nice and chunky. It's usually located right where the lettuce and stuff is, with the higher end dressings, in my supermarket.
Yep, that's the stuff. The Super Bleu cheese, not their regular Chunky Bleu Cheese. Both are good but for wings I like the extra bleu cheese flavor. I'll have to try their Caesar dressing. Love me some blackened chicken Caesar salad!:mug:

I might be alone here but for wings I prefer not really chunky bleu cheese. I think it can make dunking a pain. Now for buffalo chicken sandwich/wrap/salad or just about anything else the chunkier the better.

I might be alone here but for wings I prefer not really chunky bleu cheese. I think it can make dunking a pain. Now for buffalo chicken sandwich/wrap/salad or just about anything else the chunkier the better.
The good thing about Marie's Super Blue Cheese is not only that there is more bleu cheese but that the chunks are way smaller than most chunky bleu cheese, perfect for wings.

Frank's Red Hot and butter melted in a pan. The wings are deep fried to get the crispiness. Than tossed in the sauce. Simple but excellent.

The sauteed garlic in butter sounds like a good variation.

+13 on Frank's Red Hot and butter. Make sure the wings are, if anything, overcooked rather than undercooked. Coat while hot. Have a beer while making them. Sample the finished product regularly.

The good thing about Marie's Super Blue Cheese is not only that there is more bleu cheese but that the chunks are way smaller than most chunky bleu cheese, perfect for wings.

I'll have to try it then. I just finished my bottle of Kens the other day anyway.

I know it goes against all true Buffalo wing standards but I can't stand bleu cheese. I go for the ranch with celery and carrots on the side.

Nah it's all personal preference even though some might be a little picky about their wings (like me). I love fried chicken (ya know, regular ole fried chicken) but I get a bit PO'd when I order Buffalo Wings in a restaurant and they bring me breaded wings...or baked or grilled. Buffalo wings by definition do not have breading and are deep fried and when I eat wings I want Buffalo Wings (even though the others do taste good).

I don't like ranch on wings but like it on a salad. Horses for courses.

I know it goes against all true Buffalo wing standards but I can't stand bleu cheese. I go for the ranch with celery and carrots on the side.

I just don't like ranch dressing on anything.

Nah it's all personal preference even though some might be a little picky about their wings (like me). I love fried chicken (ya know, regular ole fried chicken) but I get a bit PO'd when I order Buffalo Wings in a restaurant and they bring me breaded wings...or baked or grilled. Buffalo wings by definition do not have breading and are deep fried and when I eat wings I want Buffalo Wings (even though the others do taste good).

I don't like ranch on wings but like it on a salad. Horses for courses.

I agree wholeheartedly. Don't bring me the entire damn wing either. I don't want the tip and I want the two parts seperated before cooking.

Chicken: Cut tip off wings, leave other two sections whole, sprinkle LIBERALLY with weber's kickin' chickin' rub, grill slowly until crispy.

Sauce: 1/3c Any kind of red sauce: Texas Pete, Crystal, etc , 2T butter, about half the smallest bottle of tabasco, heat in microwave until butter is almost melted, whisk together

Dip: Bleu Cheese Dressing for me, Ranch for SWMBO

Serve with: Beer and/or grilled corn and/or grilled potato halves (dusted with Old Bay), and tons of paper towels/napkins.

* 6 tablespoons louisiana hot sauce
* 1/4 cup margarine, not butter
* 1 tablespoon white vinegar
* 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
* 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
* 1 dash black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
* 1-2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

This is what I use but you may want to cut it a bit with more butter if you do not like your wings hot. It's supposedly the original anchor bar recipe and it's mighty tasty.

Back