10 Gallon Batch Extract/Partial Boil...Just Finished!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
This is an update on a previous thread that several people were interested in and I promised I would update when I actually brewed.

Since I do partial boils, around 2 gal, most of the time, why not do 10 gallon batches and just double up on extract. I do late addition DME anyhow and use BeerSmith to calculate my IBU's appropriately for style. Here is how it went, what I learned, and the recipe.

I prepared 3.5 Gallons of water which I raised to 160F for my Crystal 40 to steep. I then added 2 LBS of Light DME and brought to a boil. I then added my bittering hops with and additional 30 min addition. Once I hit the magic 60 minute time, I sunk my chiller in the boil pot to pasteurize. Here is where it gets complicated.

I needed to add the additional 9.5 LBS of DME to pasteurize for 15 minutes. Needless to say, it was thick, but not nearly as bad as I anticipated for. I then chilled to 65F. I prepared (2) 6.5 Gallon bucket fermenters and poured the wort into one. I pitched my 2000ml starter, poured back and forth between the sanitized buckets. I then evened the amounts in each bucket and topped up with tap water to 5.10 Gallons. It is now 5 hours post pitch with a OG of 1.046 in each bucket and it tastes great!

What I learned:
1) I should have added some more DME to the original boil and adjusted my hop additions; it would have made it easier when it came to adding the DME post boil
2) I will take much more time when adding my DME next time post boil to avoid clumping, maybe even look into a sifter for flour?
3) I will add some top up water before aerating to make my wort less syrup-like, then even the batches out for volume.

All in all, it took only one more hour than normal, and I think that was just learning curve. I would not suggest doing this until you have a few batches under your belt and have a good sanitation practice and brew method. Overall, as long as I start to get some good bubbling...RDWHAHB!

10 Gallon Pale
Style: American Pale Ale
Batch Size: 10.20 gal
Boil Volume: 3.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients
POST BOIL 9.50 lb Light Dry Extract (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 73.1 %
2.00 lb Light Dry Extract (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 15.4 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 11.5 %
0.75 oz Chinook [12.40%] (60 min) Hops 19.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [7.80%] (30 min) Hops 12.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.84%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops
2000 ML American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.049 SG (1.045-1.056 SG)
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG (1.010-1.015 SG)
Measured Final Gravity: ?
Estimated Color: 7.4 SRM (4.0-11.0 SRM)
Bitterness: 31.8 IBU (20.0-40.0 IBU)
Alpha Acid Units: 1.7 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.9 % (4.5-5.7 %)
Actual Alcohol by Volume: ?
Actual Calories: 218 cal/pint

Back