beginner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaxd046

Reaction score
Beer is in 4th day of fermenting, i opened it up to take a hydrometer reading. it was 1.020 the ending reading should be around 1.014. The beer has a sort of solvent smell and taste to it, it is a wheat beer and i definitely could taste the beer but its overpowered by this smell and taste. Will this go away or is something wrong with my batch ? there is some krausen remaining on top floating in chunks and has some small patches of foam/bubbles hovering on top.

Fermentation can be very gross appearing and smell awful. Consider it the bad "spirits" leaving to allow a good beer to remain. Seriously though, it can be funky sometimes. Let it do it's thing.

Never judge a beer by what it tastes like during primary. Things that taste great in the primary could turn out meh and things that taste horrible in primary could be the best beer ever. It all depends on so many factors. There's nothing wrong with tasting it and it can be fun and you can start to get an idea of how it improves over time. However, it's not supposed to taste good yet and a lot will happen in the next month and a half and beyond to make it taste better.

4 days is definitely early. I never take a reading before a week. Even when it stops bubbling, the yeast are still working.

Yep, give it some time. Time does miraculous things to beer. Trust me, it's worth the wait.

I freaked out about the yeasty flavors in some of my first brews. 3 or 4 weeks later, I was drinking some amazing beer - and I was the one who made it. Hopefully, you will know what I mean soon enough.

Back