Chocolate Orange Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mawa

Reaction score
Hey Brewers!

I've been wanting to brew a Chocolate Orange Stout for a while (I love a dark chocolate with orage candy bar) but have been unable to find a recipe for this. I'm willing to experiment and I came up with the folowing recipe:

Amount Item
7.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
2 oz. Unsweetened baker's chocolate, broken
1.00 oz Target [11.00 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min)
2.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-)

I basically took a Chocolate Stout Recipe from BYO and added the orage peel.

What do you guys think of this? Any tips that you can give me?

TIA!
Mawa

This exact idea has crossed my mind!!

My wife's British and the in-laws send me dark chocolate oranges by the caseload!!

I have yet to brew a choco stout, but I have heard that you should stick to unsweetened cocoa powder as the fat in the chocolate bar can lead to unpleasant textures/flavours in the final product.

Definetely too much orange. I would not buy the dried orange at the LHBS because it tastes bitter to me. Search to find which fresh orange peel works good and zest your own.

Perhaps you could up the chocolate malt and hop with a citrusy hop like cascades, creating the chocolate and orange flavor out of the malt and hops.

I'll go against the grain here and predict that you don't even detect the orange in your final beer. A chocolate stout has a LOT of flavour to overcome, and 2 oz of fruit won't do it. Plus, you boiled it, so a lot of the flavour and aroma volatiles would have went up with the steam. If I am right, you might try adding your zest to the secondary/keg next time. And I bet 2 oz wouldn't be too much, even then.

If you get something that works, let us know. This might be an interesting combination to experiment with.

add some zest to some bottles when you bottle. i have done this with a hefe and it turned out great

What came of this. I had this thought just last night to do a beer like this... I was thinking the same thing about the orange peel as a dry addition rather than boiled. I would rather the sent of orange than the taste of it. Any recipe help out there?

Why, in the case of lemon/orange flavor, do you use zest instead of the actual fruit? I've got some chocolate stout in primary right now. I'd love to try adding an orange taste to it.

What would be more effective? 2 oz of orange zest, or 2 oranges sliced and dumped into secondary/keg?

Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing book has a recipe for a "dark night tangerine porter" that I am going to attempt sometime. He explains that his recipe is based on borrowing some characteristics of a Wit and applying them to a porter, so it may be a bit different then what you are after, but it sounds really good to me.

Brewed this recipe a 1.5 months ago using the ingredients and times listed except for the orange in the boil. I added 2oz of orange zest into the secondary instead and let sit for 2 weeks. Its been in the bottle for 2 weeks now and everyone that I have cracked open is only very very lightly carbonated. It also has a strong overpowering orange oil taste so I would recommend maybe 1 oz of orange zest or less. As for the carbonation ... could the zested orange peels have killed off the yeast preventing carbonation? I'm pretty OCD about sanitization so I don't think that would have caused it. Some more info ... primary for 2 weeks and then secondary for 2 weeks on 2oz orange zest. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Back