first try at hops, pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
this is my first year trying hops, and so far so good. i only picked up 2 rhizomes (cascade & nugget) and planted them next to a trellis-i know its not tall enough but i'll mess with it next year, i just wanted to make sure they would grow in south jersey.

anyways, they're growth is awesome! it will be 3 weeks since they were put in the ground on sunday-they are already over a foot! we have been getting tons of rain for the past few weeks and they absolutely love it.

i hope i'm able to get even a small amount off this year...only time will tell!
the nugget is the second pic, i got two vines from that one but only one from the cascade.

0620091552_1.jpg

0620091552a_1.jpg

Nice, healthy plants you have there Defenestrate. My first year Cascades and Fuggles are starting to climb like crazy. I am going to be very patient with them.

haha, i'd rather feel that way then the opposite.

...how much can you really expect in harvest first year?
You will not get many cones the first year, maybe an ounce or two, but you better be getting a trellis system ready, because next year they will grow like crazy, and go as high as you can with it, 20' should be good, good luck.:mug:

cascade on the right, nugget on the left. something bit off the end of the main vine of the nugget, and it has been this size for about a month.... lame
0813091451_1.jpg

there are not many cones on the nugget, under ten.
0813091451a.jpg

here are some more shots of the cascade, there is a good amount of cones, probably 30+ and i'm very excited to make a pale ale when i harvest.
0813091451b_1.jpg

0813091452.jpg

0813091452a.jpg

0813091452b.jpg

i didnt think they were going to grow so much this year, i'm very happy. cant wait to build the 25 footer next year!

i wanted to do a wet hop pale ale... i know the hops are less potent when you use them this way, but is do you think there is a chance i might be able to harvest enough cascade for a 5 gal batch?

Back