What a Mess!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
IMG_0749.jpg
IMG_0750.jpg
Octane IPA ....I opened it up to take a gravity reading. This was no surprise because a few days ago my 3 piece airlock was over flowing. The OG was 1.068 and the current reading I got was 1.018, thats only about 6.5 ABV. This should be over 7% ABV so I'm hoping it will drop a few more gravity points. It's been in primary for only 8 days. Probably another week or more in primary should hopefully drop the gravity some, correct?

I will be racking to secondary on top of oak chips after another week or so in primary. Will the yeast ferment on the oak?

Yup, some processes of brewing are not pretty!

Keep that beer in primary for 2-3 weeks to finish and begin clearing. You don't take the beer out of primary until you are sure it's done meaning no changes in gravity.

Then rack into not oak in secondary. The beer will continue to clear and take up the oak flavors. As long as FG was verified before racking there should be no further fermentation occurring in secondary and that's the way it should be:)

Yup, some processes of brewing are not pretty!

Keep that beer in primary for 2-3 weeks to finish and begin clearing. You don't take the beer out of primary until you are sure it's done meaning no changes in gravity.

Then rack into not oak in secondary. The beer will continue to clear and take up the oak flavors. As long as FG was verified before racking there should be no further fermentation occurring in secondary and that's the way it should be:)

I am not in a rush with this beer for sure. I only plan on using secondary for about 2 weeks, so the longer in primary the better. I just bottled a 5 gal batch of Autumn Amber Ale, so I have about 50 beers to get through before worrying about this one :mug:

Back