Elder Scrolls Skyrim

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjohnson29

Reaction score
Okay, there has been some discussion about the alcohol of the Elder Scrolls, but no one has mentioned anything about Skyrim, which was released today. I've got a copy in my car, but im stuck at a wedding, again (7th this year)... I know im not the only nerd...what's everyone think of the game?

I'm @ work moving databases around but my loving wife stopped by and dropped a copy off that she picked up at Target, bless her heart!

I so need to get this, hope it's not sold out here. This will bring me out of my 2 year xbox slump.

_

I have only put in a few hours so far but I really like it. Right now I'm thinking about playing through the main storyline first but... who knows.

Awesome game, one of the most immersive gaming experiences I've ever had by far. Not only the best ES game but one of the best ever period. Here's a couple of tips I've learned so far...

After you save up 5K gold go to Whiterun and purchase the breezehome for . This (exploit) does work, you just have to stash your gold after he gives you the key and before he takes the money, you'll have a couple of seconds to do this.

If you get infected with vampirism drink a cure all disease potion before you turn. Otherwise you will have to "feed" on a sleeping person after you've turned and play the associated quest to find the cure.

To level up quickly in smithing make as many iron daggers as you can afford to, it helps if you have already mined a good amount of ore and have plenty of wolf pelts. Otherwise plan on dropping a good amount of coin on iron ingots/ore and leather strips.

If you want to save all your dragon scales/bones, which are terribly heavy, let your companion carry them for you. This is only an issue before you are able to save up the 5K and buy the house in Whiterun.

Also, check the online perk guides before you start spending your skill points. Afterward concentrate on leveling up in the skills your spending points.

Lastly, never trust a talking dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it so far. I think I'm level 9, so I'm not too far into it. I'm going dual wield melee and heavy armor. Next play through I'll make a caster of some sort.

I played Friday night for a few hours, then got roped into dinner with friends, and an all day excursion to Tucson on Saturday. After geeking out all day Sunday I was finally ready not to use my vacation days :). I've been playing a mage/ranger type character skilled with the bow and magic.

This is my favorite TES game so far! I love the new leveling system, it completely addresses my complaints about the last two games. Also the new skills are pretty neet. I especially appreciate how they split cooking off of alchemy.

The down side? A few people (especially on the PS3) have been reporting pretty bad bugs, though I've been lucky enough to not experience any save for 1 crash (in the 16 or so hours of play, that's not too bad). I'm also not a fan of the new menu system, or the "favorites"/"quick equip" menu. Also you can't make your own spells anymore :( Lastly... Why potions are friggin heavy!!! Virtually every potion/poison is 0.5 lbs, which adds up quickly, though they sell pretty well once you have a number of alchemists you can quick travel to.

Cheers!

P.S. Making leather bracers is a pretty easy way to up blacksmithing too, just kill every wolf/elk you see ;)

I purposely have not bought this game...I know I will get sucked in and lose all contact with the outside world. Plus, after Morrowind, I wait till all the bugs are worked out and then buy it.

How is the level system different?

You only have 3 stats (Magica, Health, Stamina) instead of the 8-9 previously, and you get to choose one each level to put 10 points into regardless of what skills you used during the leveling. Your experience bar fills a little each time you get a skill up. If its from 10-11, it's a small amount where as 99-100 would be a much larger amount. Also they introduced a perk system. Each level you gain you get a perk point that you can assign to get things like, bow does more dammage, destruction magic costs less magica, or crafting sort of stuff like, "craft elvin armor". Most perks have some minimum skill point requirement, and that you've opened the previous skill on the "tree".

The menu on the other hand is clumsy and annoying compared to the last couple games, but oh well...

When I bought this game, I let everyone know so they wouldn't worry about me when they hadn't seen me in 3+ weeks :) The bugs for some people have been pretty bad, but I guess I'm one of the lucky people who happens to have the right hardware set (AMD processor + newish GeForce video card), and I've only had 1 crash so far in about 16 hours of play.

Wasn't going to buy it but cracked and got it yesterday. Very fun and very immersive just as I expected. Plays well on my computer though I pipe it to the HD tv and use a controller, lol. I want it on PC for the mods though.

Apparently the PC version is much faster and more stable than the x-box/ps3 offerings too.

Apparently the PC version is much faster and more stable than the x-box/ps3 offerings too.
The interface seems to be built around a controller too. It works well with a controller and seeing how it is all setup I can't imagine doing it with mouse and keyboard... seems it would be clunky.

So far the only bugs I've noticed on xbox (knock on wood) haven't been killers. I heard the same thing that the menuing was built more for a controller. I imagine lots of people are going the controller + pc route.

There is a few bugs with the menu system and the mouse, but us dedicated keyboard + mouse players find ways to compensate.

How stringent are the system requirements on the PC? I am thinking of playing this one, although I haven't played any games in nearly two years and I definitely don't have the newest hardware. I think I got a dual core 2.4, 4g ram, and 1g video card. It probably is enough for minimum specs, but if the game is going to lag all the time I'd rather save myself the money and not bother.

The system requirements actually seem pretty low compared to what I thought it would be. I run it on high settings with 4 gigs of ram, 3.6 ghz quad core, and a gtx 560. What I have seems to be good for now. It runs BF3 at high settings also with no frame rate problems. You should be able to run it at low or maybe medium, but I'm not positive. Or do what I'm doing and upgrade once the new 600 series cards come out next year. I'm pretty much going to replace everything then.

So far the only bugs I've noticed on xbox (knock on wood) haven't been killers. I heard the same thing that the menuing was built more for a controller. I imagine lots of people are going the controller + pc route.

I haven't had any issues on PS3 through level 16, just mainly been doing the main quest and leveling skills (mainly smithing) though. I can't imagine the gameplay being any better or faster on PC and even if so it would have to be negligible.

I've been told that the loading screens on the xbox seem to persist quite a while. When I see one on my pc I rarely have enough time to even read the "tip".

I've already played over 30 hours on PC... (was off work until today, and wife out of town until Sunday evening; also... Mountain Dew)
Love it. I don't think the combat is compelling (slightly moreso than past TES's), but the whole world is still so engrossing...

Impressive graphics at max settings, only been dumped to the desktop two or three times (so less than once every ten hours, can't complain about that)

How stringent are the system requirements on the PC? I am thinking of playing this one, although I haven't played any games in nearly two years and I definitely don't have the newest hardware. I think I got a dual core 2.4, 4g ram, and 1g video card. It probably is enough for minimum specs, but if the game is going to lag all the time I'd rather save myself the money and not bother.

Most likely you will be able to play it, but not well. I have been playing it on my laptop, until I get back home from a business trip, which has similar specs to what you have. It lags everywhere. I would advise against attempting to play it on that machine.

Picking this up after work today. Probably won't really be able to dive into until saturday morning. Gonna nerd out real hard for awhile on this one, buying my girlfriend a pair of shoes she's been drooling over today, too. So that she won't be able to complain about said nerdery.

Looking forward to slaying some motha****ing dragons.

:( My computer is too old, I think my graphics card is a gforce 7900 256MB. All we have is a Wii too. Guns and Brewing equip are higher on the list for the holidays too. Oh well, all the hype really makes the game look pretty cool.

Picking this up after work today. Probably won't really be able to dive into until saturday morning. Gonna nerd out real hard for awhile on this one, buying my girlfriend a pair of shoes she's been drooling over today, too. So that she won't be able to complain about said nerdery.

Looking forward to slaying some motha****ing dragons.

Well played. :mug:

I've been playing a lot of BF3 lately and my girlfriend has not stopped complaining. Maybe I should have done the same...

Playing on minimum settings is still great, a little more jagged but the graphics are still decent and the gameplay is what makes it fun. I think you'll be fine to play on minimum settings with a decent framerate.

Well played. :mug:

I've been playing a lot of BF3 lately and my girlfriend has not stopped complaining. Maybe I should have done the same...

Yeah, lately i've only really been playing my xbox when she's at work on the weekends or later at night after she's passed out.

After reading so much about this game, i've gotten the feeling that that's just not going to be enough, hahaha. So i'm hoping this little peace offering will get me a bit more gaming time with out much resistance from her.

Playing on minimum settings is still great, a little more jagged but the graphics are still decent and the gameplay is what makes it fun. I think you'll be fine to play on minimum settings with a decent framerate.

It looks like Oblivion on my laptop (in terms of the graphics). I agree the game play makes it worth it to fight through the lag if you're a big fan. I've been playing TES games since Arena so I try not to assume other people might be willing to put up with fighting a machine that can only play the game on the lowest possible settings.

1g video cards are not all made equal, what one specifically?

It's an ATI Radeon HD 4670, whatever that means.

I'll probably wait a while before buying this one, maybe see if I can borrow a copy to check whether it runs well or not. I don't care if the graphics look like Morrowind, I just don't want to deal with constant lagging.

bottlebomber said:
This ones next on my list for PS3 as well, after I'm done with Mass Effect 2

So im not a huge gamer but ive loved fallout and oblivion. What other rpgs for ps3 would yall recommend that are similar?

Latest posts

Back