High FG Goat Scrotum Ale Fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2pugbrews

Reaction score
As I told in the "Windsor Yeast" thread, my Goat Scrotum has stalled out at 1.027. I did swirl the carboy but it only started little pips of bubbles - about 12 per min
I bottled my Beer Engine ESB tonight and was looking over at my Goat Scrotum Ale in the primary and it hit me; rack the GSA over onto the trub from my ESB. The yeast is a 1028 London Ale Yeast.
Here's the recipe for my Goat Scrotum:
6# dark malt extract
1# crystal malt
1/4# black patent
1/4# roasted barley
1 1/2 oz Northern Brewer - boiling hops
1/4 oz Willamette - finishing
1 c brown sugar
1 c molasses
2 t gypsum
Danstar Windsor dry yeast (11g)
3 oz ginger root
6 oz Baker's chocolate
2 or 3 hot peppers
Papazian's predicted OG 1.050-1.060
Mine 1.047 I substituted 1#LME for Papazian's 1# corn sugar

Would this be a good thing to rack the GSA w/Windsor yeast onto the cake from my ESB w/1028 London Ale Yeast?

BTW, I'm tasting my SG samples and the GSA tastes pretty good at this stage.

You may want to just add a few (maybe 4?) ounces of the yeast cake from the other beer. Over-pitching in this case would be fairly easy at this point - that leads to a strange yeasty flavor.

Chairman Cheyco said:
You may want to just add a few (maybe 4?) ounces of the yeast cake from the other beer. Over-pitching in this case would be fairly easy at this point - that leads to a strange yeasty flavor.

You might be able to just pitch directly onto the yeast cake---and to counteract the "strange yeasty flavor", you could simply increase the time in secondary, just to let them settle out. Just a thought.

Obviously I mistitled this thread - it was late and I was sleepy. It should have been "Low FG Goat Scrotum Ale Fix?"

2pugbrews said:
Obviously I mistitled this thread - it was late and I was sleepy. It should have been "Low FG Goat Scrotum Ale Fix?"
I am only minimally confused. My subject heading was right in the first place. can plead ignorance because this is only my 10th batch.

here's what I've done: racked the Goat Scrotum Ale (Windsor yeast) on top of my ESB cake(1028 London Ale Yeast). I'm in a bit of a rush because I'm going in for knee replacement on the 24th so won't be mobile enough to get down to process my beer. Want to get it in the secondary by the 23rd.
24 hours later the SG had gone down from 1.027 (stuck) to 1.022. Called my favorite hbs guy and he said to shake it real good which I did. I'm out of town so now won't check it until Mon. When I left this morning it was only bubbling very weakly
Is there any hope for this brew?
The main question is: racking from the primary to the cake from my ESB, should I rack again or count it as being in the secondary for the long haul during my recovery from surgery?

I made the same version of Goat Scrotum as you did but without the ginger, twice in fact. Im not at home now, so I dont know what my FG was. Id venture to say that after racking and seeing a 5 point SG drop, there is definitely hope for this batch.

I would not count pitching onto this yeast as a secondary. Ideally you should leave it on there for maybe 5 to 7 days. Seeing that you have an upcoming surgery, I would make an effort to rack it on the 23rd.

It doesnt seem to me like it was a good idea to aerate the partially fermented beer. Yeast need oxygen to reproduce. Since you pitched on the entire yeast cake, reproduction shouldnt be necessary.

BTW, what kind of peppers did you use? The first time I made it I used some sort of chili eppers (again not at home with my notes now) and the chili taste was not apparent at all. The second batch I used Aneheim and Serrano peppers, and it is so damn hot, I may not ever get through this beer.

- magno

Back