FAST beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockjones73

Reaction score
I usually make sorta bigger beers that need to be conditioned for a while, but I'm starting to get the hankerin' for making some fast beers...no secondary, stick in a keg, force carb and drink, two weeks max. I know wheats can be enjoyed soon after brewing, and i've heard of the wit that goes from pot to belly in a week. What other beer styles can be consumed soon after brewing? Any links to recipes? I'd like to increase my homebrew/commercial beer drinking ratio!!!!

Yep- the mild would work! We did the 10der and mild exchange- 10 days from grain to glass, in a beer swap, back in October. If you keg, it's 10 days. Bottling is a bit longer.

I do a brew similar to Ed's House Ale. Grain to glass in 10-14 days, as long as you get fermentation off to a quick start. Typical fermentation lasts 4-7 days for me. I usually let the first 5.5g ferment for 2 weeks, then keg. And the last 5.5g sits for 4-5 weeks or longer and is of course a clearer, cleaner tasting beer.

11 Gallon Batch @ 75% eff.
House Pale Ale
Cost: $19.57

19.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.37 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.98 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4.65 %

1.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 15.9 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.4 IBU

0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.34 %
Bitterness: 30.3 IBU
Est Color: 8.1 SRM

That Haus Pale of EdWort's does sound awesome...ahhh, cascades. BUT my LHS doesn't have Munich LME (I live in Fairbanks, Alaska...Awesome town, and bless the LHS, but, you know...Fairbanks). Any good substitutes?
Edit: By substitutes, I mean ingredients. I tried to order the LME from Austin Homebrew, and the shipping to where I live was $65 JUST for the extract!!

Bitters - I'm not into them so much myself, but I have a friend who goes from brew day to drinking in less than three weeks, with good results.

I recently brewed a blonde ale. It was designed to be light, but tasty.

5.0lbs 2-row pale
1.0lbs Wheat Malt
1.5lbs extra light DME
0.5lbs rice syrup solids
1.0lbs corn sugar

1.0oz Saaz @ 60min
0.5oz Saaz @ 5min

2 packs US-05 rehydrated

I used 2 packs of yeast to see what would happen. It went NUTS. The fermentation was done in a couple of days. I mean DONE. Lost a couple of quarts via blowoff.

Two weeks later, it was in the keg, carbed and VERY nice. Pale yellow color, nice head, nice smell, light taste with a hint of grain. About 5.8%ABV.

SWMBO is trying to drink it all up, so I am planning a 8 gallon batch (a 5 gallon keg and a 3 gallon party keg) next month.

Back