What's the fastest you've bottled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
I have an oatmeal stout in secondary right now. I'm only secondary'ing the stout because I added 4 oz of cocoa nibs that had been soaking in 3 oz of vanilla extract for 8 days previous to pitch. Now, the nibs soaked up a great deal of the extract. I had a syrupy cocoa-y and vanilla liquid in the soaking unit. It looked and smelled great.

I primaried the stout for 6 days. It's been in the secondary for 2 days, going on 3. I don't care about clarity, I added a whirlfloc tab to my boil. And it's a stout so clarity isn't of the highest priority. My OG was 1.060, FG is 1.011. Been steady since day 4 of the primary.

How long would you guys secondary this? I did a taste test yesterday (day 2 secondary) and it was fantastic. Enough cocoa flavor, good vanilla notes, malt was spot on. Would you guys bottle this or would you ride it out another week? I think I'm answering my own questions here but I would like other input on this beer. Thanks.

I would let it bulk condition for a month and let the flavors meld and mellow.

That being said though I think you're moving too fast and rushing your beer. 6 days primary is pretty short and worrying about something secondary after 3 days kind of defeats the use of a secondary IMO

Do you want beer fast or good? You can't have it both ways, especially with a stout. I'm drinking a stout that has been bottled for a year and a half and it has gotten exceptionally good in the past month or so. You can bottle it whenever the gravity readings remain the same for 3 days if they are at or near the expected FG but your stout will still take time to mature.

From experience I would have left that stout in the primary for 3 to 5 weeks and then racked it to secondary on the nibs and left it there for another week or 2 before bottling.

This is a recipe I have brewed before. Typically, I would leave it in the primary for 5-7 days, depending on my gravity readings. I would then place the nibs and vanilla in to a secondary vessel and allow to mellow for 2 weeks. Bottle, then allow to sit for 4 weeks to a year. I just finished off my last bottle a month ago from a batch I brewed in September of last year. I know that it takes time to come together when bottled. I wasn't asking "can I get it bottle conditioned in 3 days?" sort of thing. I only wanted to know how fast people have moved from their primary to a bottle. That's all.

I want to note something here. I did bottle earlier this morning. When I did a taste test, it was spot on. After bottling, I chewed up one of the nibs. It was completely flavorless. There was nothing to it. I suppose all the soaking in the vanilla extract was enough to pull most of the cocoa flavor from the nibs. Everything in the beer was perfect. I've never thought about bottling this quickly before but I also haven't had a beer become this complete so quickly before either.

I suppose I may not have had to do a secondary at all. I could have gone directly from my primary to bottle, and added my cocoa nibs/vanilla at bottling. I guess I'll have some answers in a few weeks/months.

Carbing up great after 5 days. Had a tester, taste was great, carb was getting there. So far so good.

Most of my standard ales get bottled or kegged after 2 weeks. I dont generally secondary these unless I dry hop. I have found negligible difference between 2 and 4 weeks of conditioning.

The last proper test I did involved brewing the same recipe 2 weeks apart. Bottled one at 2 weeks the other at 4. Bottled on the same day. After carbing for 3 weeks, triangle tests with some local brewers came up 50/50.

ie... negligible.

My low gravity beers get bottled around 10 days. They tend to be at or close to FG after 2 days.

I once bottled Hefe on day 4, it finished fermenting on day 3. By day 7, I opened a bottle and it was fully carbed. I primed with saved & previously frozen wort (speize) instead of sugar. It really does speed up carbonation process.

Back