one fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cory11

Reaction score
I just recieved an extract kit and its saying i need a second ferment bucket. Im under the understanding that i can use only one. (i dont have a second one yet) How long do i let it ferment since i am only using one? Btw, its the northern brewer dunkelweizen kit.
Thanks!

There are many thread topics related to whether or not it is worthwhile using a "secondary fermenter". Unless you're adding fruit or dry hops it is not overly important. Rule of thumb is just give it a good 3 weeks in the fermenter and 3 weeks in the bottle and it should be fine (unless you're dealing with bigger beers higher than 7%). Or just follow the NB instructions (just add on the secondary time to the primary time) and leave in the one fermenter.

I agree...My kits called for a secondary but I just left them in my primary for about 3 weeks then bottled. If you are in a hurry to do brew... You can check hydrometer readings for 2 days... If no change and its close to the expected FG then you can bottle..
Might not be as clear if you left it longer...

Or just get another primary! (I went from 1 to 4 pretty quickly)

You're good with just one for now. Give it 3 - 4 weeks in primary and then bottle. A dunkelweizend should be ready to bottle at 3 weeks if your fermentation was properly controlled.

no need to rack to a secondary (unless you need the primary to brew again), just don't let it sit longer than 8wks in the primary.

Its not necessay but I like to use a secondary for flavoring, clarification, and dry hopping purposes. You will be fine but if you like homebrewing it might be time to upgrade

I will definatly be upgradeing in the future. This is my second brew and can already tell that im hooked. Thanks for the responces everybody! My plan is to have it ready as a christmas presant.

I would also respectfully disagree with maticulous. Some beers need more than two-three weeks to ferment and clarify. Using a two-week rule or four-week rule would be a rash generalization and it would be best to avoid these and better just to adapt to the style at hand.

Clearing dosen't magically stop in a bottle or keg, in fact it happens faster. A beer still dropping in gravity at two weeks is a problem, probably from poor aeration or temps way lower than they should be. My lagers are at FG in less than a week and that is perfectly normal from what I've read.

I would also respectfully disagree with maticulous. Some beers need more than two-three weeks to ferment and clarify. Using a two-week rule or four-week rule would be a rash generalization and it would be best to avoid these and better just to adapt to the style at hand.

All generalizations are wrong....

I agree you have to follow the fermentation. Some seem to prefer to just ignore it. I guess that's fine too. I just like a more hands on approach over the head in the sand approach advocated by so many here. Hydrometers are handy little tools.

Second fermenter ordered. :) i figured that i may as well follow the directions.

Back