Fermentation help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumsboa09

Reaction score
Brewed a batch with a 1.092 OG. After 7 days it fermented down to 1.048. Just wondering how long I should wait. It was vigorous for 4 days and slowed down big time. I am fermenting at 68 degrees. Input is appreciated. Thanks

Thats a pretty big beer, what is the recipe? 7 days for a beer that size is way to early to tell anything. If you can detail your process a bit im sure we can provide a bit more input.

Cheers

FastAndy said:
Thats a pretty big beer, what is the recipe? 7 days for a beer that size is way to early to tell anything. If you can detail your process a bit im sure we can provide a bit more input.

Cheers

All grain imperial porter, added brown sugar to the boil, 2000 ml starter which I think is under pitched. 90 minute boil.

Yea you need to wait more. 7 days and your yeas has brought it down 44 points (48% attenuated) so it should come down further assuming you pitched properly. Like one poster said above, raise the temp a few degrees and forget about it for a week or two. Then check again.

All grain imperial porter, added brown sugar to the boil, 2000 ml starter which I think is under pitched. 90 minute boil.

unless you used a stir plate or multiple vials, thats def underpitched. what yeast was it?

despite being a large beer, you should be far lower than half way after a week, even underpitched. IME, it should have been done by now. if warming & rousing doesn't get it going again, i'd make a starter with another yeast and add that (or use cake from another beer if u happen to have one going)

daksin said:
Did you use a hydrometer or a refractometer to take your most recent gravity reading?

Hydrometer and even used a lab thermometer to get proper temp.

Two weeks minimum, then 2-3 more days at slightly elevated temp to clean-up. Still needs time to condition after that. Cold crash or rack to keg and leave it alone for another 2 weeks at that point. Huge beers need time. You might not like it much if you try it before then.

While I don't specifically disagree with anyone here, I will say that I find general time guidelines to be problematic with fermentation. I kinda feel like Revvy here, but it's done when it's done. I've had yeast take 1.090+ down to 1.010 or less in 3.5 days, and others take weeks to eke things out.

To me, it's not about a rule of thumb but carful observation & record keeping to learn how to make each yeast thrive.

Piratwolf said:
While I don't specifically disagree with anyone here, I will say that I find general time guidelines to be problematic with fermentation. I kinda feel like Revvy here, but it's done when it's done. I've had yeast take 1.090+ down to 1.010 or less in 3.5 days, and others take weeks to eke things out.

To me, it's not about a rule of thumb but carful observation & record keeping to learn how to make each yeast thrive.

I've had my 1.070's drop to 1.010 in 5 days. I've never made anything this big. Not to mention the addition of brown sugar. It's all new to me at this point. I do appreciate everyone's insight tho. It really helps

Piratwolf said:

this is true, but i was speaking to aging a big beer too. i don't like rule of thumb on fermentation either. mine go quickly but they are controlled and i always test them first

dumsboa09 said:
I've had my 1.070's drop to 1.010 in 5 days. I've never made anything this big. Not to mention the addition of brown sugar. It's all new to me at this point. I do appreciate everyone's insight tho. It really helps

Agreed. And perhaps I should note that rules of thumb were a life saver for me when I started out or tried new stuff.

Well 8 days ago I posted I was at a 1.048 gravity coming down from 1.092. I'm happy to say I'm down to 1.024. Gonna let it go to the weekend before I check up again and maybe bottle. Thanks for the insight.

Back