Frozen Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I got back into town to find my mini fridge in which I store my kegged beer in, decided to create a blizzard inside it. It had a huge chink of ice form in it which encased the upper portion of my corny keg, including beer line and quick disconnects.

I took it outside and using a garden hose de-iced it. When I got my keg out, the remaining beer (about half full) was beer slushy.

What effect will this have on my beer if I let the ice melt in the beer? I know that freezing the water in a solution will concentrate the solution. But over all taste?

Will this become like Ice House?

Next question, is, did my gear sustain damage? I know the keg should be fine as I did not shock the metal by using hot water ( water temp from hose is 50ish), but the plastic quick connects?

The rubber O rings should be fine?
Any advice is needed and wselcomed.

Thanks

You'll be fine.

The water that formed ice in your beer came from the beer in the first place, so once it melts and gets mixed back in, it'll be fine. It may taste a little off, but nothing drastic.

All your fittings will be fine also.

^^^ I would be curious to see if this holds to a blind test. I've had beer that froze in the bottle and couldn't discern a difference with a "regular" bottle after it had thawed and had been chilled again to the correct temperature. There's nothing magical about liquids turning into solids.

You're always better off not having beer freeze on you because of the risks of bottles shattering, but I'd very much doubt it is ruined.

^^^ I would be curious to see if this holds to a blind test. I've had beer that froze in the bottle and couldn't discern a difference with a "regular" bottle after it had thawed and had been chilled again to the correct temperature. There's nothing magical about liquids turning into solids.

You're always better off not having beer freeze on you because of the risks of bottles shattering, but I'd very much doubt it is ruined.

Blind taste test not necessary in my frozen bottle mishap. There was absolutely no question the beer was ruined...the taste difference was very large.

Blind taste test not necessary in my frozen bottle mishap. There was absolutely no question the beer was ruined...the taste difference was very large.

I pulled a bottle of an amber I brewed out of the garage fridge last night and it was half frozen. I realized it was frozen after I had tried pouring it into the glass. After letting it sit for an hour, I poured the rest and drank it all. There was absolutely no discernible off flavor or watered-down-ness, it was just as good as the first glass I poured 3 weeks ago.

Hook it up to an unfrozen disconnect and transfer all of the liquid into a second keg. Now you have a legitimate ice beer. When life hands you lemons...

Had a bottle of beer freeze on me...didn't realize it till after I had opened it. Let it thaw, tried to drink it.....the sink was thirsty, so I gave my beer to it. Flat, watery just plain waste of a good beer.:(

Did you try drinking when it was slushy ? This seems to be a recurring theme and I agree that it is nasty.

Back