Digital temp controller for RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogxray

Reaction score
Has anyone used a digital temp controller for a Rims system like a ranco or johnson? I was just wondering if it was a viable alternative.

image_619[1].jpg

You could, but a PID and a SS Relay would work much more gooder.

With the Ranco or Johnson you will be very likely to over shoot your temps.

I use one (ranco) for my herms and it works fine. It's also dead on accurate according to my new therma pen.

Has anyone used a digital temp controller for a Rims system like a ranco or johnson? I was just wondering if it was a viable alternative.

I use a Johnson digital A419 controller on my direct fired RIMS. Works like a charm. My system is sort of semi-automatic in that the burner is operated by the controller, but I manually adjust the pumping rate and flame height. With a little experience, it's easy to hit and maintain mash temps without overshooting the targets. I considered going the PID route at one time, but this controller works well, so I have not regrets in that dept. The controller is also the same one I use on my converted chest freezer. I just re-purpose it for several hours on brew day. Eventually, I plan to buy a second controller, but not in any hurry to do so. The temp of the serving freezer changes very little in the few hours that it's not running. I may buy a Love controller for the RIMS in lieu of the Johnson. Haven't decided one way or the other on that yet.

Back