Turkey Fryer hybrid method with photos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Outside brew day. Posting pics because i thought this was kind of fun. Cross between bag in pot, turkey fryer, and tiered system.

Feel free to critisize.

Yeast starter looking kind of funky. WL 029 German Ale / Kolsch
IMG_0405.JPG

equipment
IMG_04091.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

Heating strike water
IMG_0410.JPG

While the water heats, here's the grain
IMG_04112.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

Your equipment puts mine to shame! Very nice, what kind of thermometer is that? I've had a little-meaning a LOT-of trouble with them breaking in my wort, wasted two entire batches in the last three weeks. If I had only a probe it the wort, in theory that would be unbreakable-at least it would not contaminate the raw beer when it broke.

Your equipment puts mine to shame! Very nice, what kind of thermometer is that? I've had a little-meaning a LOT-of trouble with them breaking in my wort, wasted two entire batches in the last three weeks. If I had only a probe it the wort, in theory that would be unbreakable-at least it would not contaminate the raw beer when it broke.

I use two 8" commercial grade thermometers, and I've not had one break in two years. They are easy to calibrate, and quite accurate over time as long as you don't drop them. $15 each at the local restaurant supply store.
http://www.cooper-atkins.com/productspecsheet.asp?pid=46

Great pics! What are you using as your mash tun? Look like a cross between a cooler and a large crockpot.

That stick blender for both mixing the wort for cooling and aeration is near genius! I may have to look into one of those.

just a cheap one from menards. Called trutemp, measures acurately but the display/buttons are pretty cheap.

i was thinking of adding a pump to the setup to move the water and wort around. also thinking it might be a good idea to recirc the wort as to keep "fresh" stuff always passing by the heating element.

I never thought of using a stick blender! Real American genus stuff there!
I just wonder if I could reliably sanitize it.
I learn something new every time I visit here, thank you for sharing.

I do an even more dumbed down version of this. I physically move the bag from the mashtun(cooler) to my kettle to sparge since I have no manifold in the cooler. I hang the bag on a pole and let it drip. I got 78% efficiency last weekend on an IPA, 1.078OG.

Going to have to steal the stick blender idea. That's awesome stuff right there. How much does it help cool down the wort?

the cooling comes more from the wort chiller, and ice water. The blender does a little to move the wort around. The negative part is it stirs up all the materials that settled out.

I used a hand held blender this past weekend to cool the wort, and it really sped things up. I don't have a chiller, and with that and an ice bath, the 2.5 gallons I had cooled within ~20 min.

Totally stealing the stick blender idea!! that stick blender just keeps getting more and more useful!!

Totally stealing the stick blender idea!! that stick blender just keeps getting more and more useful!!
Wife's got a Bosch Mixxo that's two piece and the mixing part is dishwasher safe. Suppose I could stick it in on the antibacterial setting along with the other post boil stuff.

At what temperature do you start mixing?
Do you do any additional aeration?

Have yet to try it, but since the business end is dishwasher safe then you can soak it or dunk it in the boil. Im planning on using it with my ic to speed up cooling.

As I was vigorously stirring today trying to get my wort down to pitch temp I was thinking about something like the stick blender. Actually a drill motor with some sort of attachment. Hmmmmm...still thinking about it. ~Diz

A attachment for a drill may be a paint mixer. I have used one to mix large batches of pancake batter for a high school graduation party and it worked great for that.

The mixing tool will work fine to aerate the cooled wort. Under 80 degrees.

I don't recommend doing this to help cool.

You should be very careful to not add oxygen to your wort or mash above 80 degrees.

Bull

You can get that thermometer at Target. They also have one with a built in timer, that's what I go with. They run about $15-20. Bobby M. has a great write up on waterproofing the probe on those. If you don't waterproof the probe, it will die on you if you submerge it past the end of the probe. They work great as long as you don't drop the readout component in your ice bath. :mad:

Ive got the same one thermometer.
It worked just fine until I managed to drop the entire unit into the wort after steeping my grains.... At least it was pre-boil.
Still works now but appears to be about 10 degrees off. Need to get another one before my next batch.

A attachment for a drill may be a paint mixer. I have used one to mix large batches of pancake batter for a high school graduation party and it worked great for that.

That is exactly what I was thinking! The only problem is that most I have seen are colored. I'm not sure if it is painted or powder coated. I wonder if there is such a thing as a stainless one of those. That would be optimal.

John

So you guys are aerating the wort while it is above 90*F with these mixers when chilling? What temperature do you start using a mixer.

Whirlpooling with gadgets like Jamil uses, doesn't beat oxygen into the hot wort, but I'm sure these stick mixers do. Any thoughts?

That is exactly what I was thinking! The only problem is that most I have seen are colored. I'm not sure if it is painted or powder coated. I wonder if there is such a thing as a stainless one of those. That would be optimal.

John

They have stainless steel mud mixers at home depot where the drywall tools are. They are used to mix dry wall compound "mud"

Back