WeldLess Fitting for Brew Pot - Good or Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I have a weldless fitting from Northern Brewing and have hesitated installing it on my brew pot. It is a heavy gauge, 10 gallon pot and I use it often and I want to add a screen and the valve for easier draining.

Has anyone out there installed a weldless fitting on their pot? Have you had problems with leakage? I also want to use a stainless mesh screen to aid in the draining the wort from the brew pot. Will this glog quickly? It is 1/2" threaded stainless fitting and works well for my MLT but I am unsure how well it will work in the brew pot.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Salute! :mug:

I have a weldless fitting from Northern Brewing and have hesitated installing it on my brew pot. It is a heavy gauge, 10 gallon pot and I use it often and I want to add a screen and the valve for easier draining.

Has anyone out there installed a weldless fitting on their pot? Have you had problems with leakage? I also want to use a stainless mesh screen to aid in the draining the wort from the brew pot. Will this glog quickly? It is 1/2" threaded stainless fitting and works well for my MLT but I am unsure how well it will work in the brew pot.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

These are ALL weldless, not a single leak after the install. No messing necessary! Are you using leaf or pellet hops? Pellet hops are great for making cement form around your screen.
P1030823.JPG

I agree with Pol... I'm using all weldless fittings on my rig, and will continue on the new rig I'm building. Weldless is the bee's knees!

To date, I have used pellets. I know they make a mess that is hard to strain, so I assume it will clog the screen just as quickly. I have tried whirlpooling, but it doesn't help much when I siphon.

Are whole leaf, just as effective as pellets on a 1 to 1 basis, or do I need to add additional leaf to compensate?

To date, I have used pellets. I know they make a mess that is hard to strain, so I assume it will clog the screen just as quickly. I have tried whirlpooling, but it doesn't help much when I siphon.

Are whole leaf, just as effective as pellets on a 1 to 1 basis, or do I need to add additional leaf to compensate?

I think you need about 10% more leaf than you need pellet... pretty close to 1:1

I use pellets in a bag ~6x8". The pellets blow up pretty big but I think I've had 6oz. in it. Not sure how big for leaf but they're cheap and reusable so just get a few and use two if needed.

I have used weldless fittings on my pots and have never experienced leaks during brewing. Before I brew the next time, I just make it a habit to check them for tightness. I like them, especially since I don't weld (yet) and don't want to pay anyone to weld it for me.

I got my weldless fittings at weldlessfittings.com

BrewerRick

Mine leaks but its because I missed the instructions on sizing the hole you drill and ended up 1/16" wider than it should have been...on a very thin aluminum kettle no less.

Still, it just barely drips, and I only use that for my HLT so it doesn't really do any harm. I might lose a tablespoon of water in the time it takes to reach strike/sparge temps.

So, drill the hole right and you should have zero issues.

Back