how long is too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reiffer75

Reaction score
A friend of mine brewed a batch of pumpkin porter about 2 months ago and has seemed to have lost interest in it for some reason...he told me if i wanted it i could take it and bottle it up but it has been sitting in primary fermenter all that time. Worth my time?

It's most likely fine. If you don't see any nasties and it smells good, go for it!! Many-a brewer has left beer in primary for much longer with no ill effects.

Maybe. I'd take a sample of the flat beer and see if it tasted ok or not. I've bottled a standard gravity beer after 3 months in a primary without problems, so as far as the batch goes, it could be good or if something is wrong, it could be bad - hence why I suggest a taste test.

If it does taste ok, can you bottle it at his place? I mean if you move it to yours, 1 it is a HUGE open container, and 2 you are sure to stir it up and it need some settling time.

Yeah would definetly taste it first, shouldnt be a problem to bottle at his house, maybe i'll even leave him a bottle so he knows what he missed out on!!

Back