Liquor Sales in Anytown, USA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiery Sword

Reaction score
Out here in Massachusetts land we've got this ballot question today regarding selling wine in liquor stores. As opposed to a lot of places in the US, most booze here in Mass is sold at package stores who make 95+% of their money on beers, wines, and alcohol alone. Liquor licenses are usually hard to come by in most communities, cost a fortune, and are often tied up with all sorts of legal issues. The thought is to create and give out a new breed of liquor licenses to food stores so that they can sell wine. Not beer, not liquor, just wine.

I bring this up for a few reasons. I, personally, don't have any problem with competition. If it were up to me, I'd be able to get a 6 of north Coast at Radio Shack while I was buying some bateries for the clicker or something. My issue is actually - why stop at wine? Why not, at least, beer?

I don't buy the "selling liquor is dangerous to our kids" argument that opponents of this ballot question like to push. They feel that the less places that there are to buy alcohol, the better. Period. Alcohol is bad, our kids have an endless appetite for it, and people who sell it are irresponsible. The government must protect out kids!!!

What is the liquor-sale situation where some of you are from? Has any place undergone this transformation from exclusive liquor stores to food/convience stores being the primary suppliers?

This is inverse-progress in Massachusetts. We just got rid of a bunch of old blue laws withing the last few years......WE CAN FINALLY GO TO THE PACKIE ON SUNDAY NOW!!! I hope we don't go backwards....again.

Well, the propoganda that those opposed to Question 1 are presenting are based in large part on slippery slope - first wine in grovery stores, then wine in convenience stores, then beer, then hard liquor, then heroin and meth. It's crazy. It has nothing to do with public safety (are our streets any safer from drunk drivers than those in states that DO allow grocery stores to sell alcohol? If so, they would have beaten us over the head with the stats by now). It's all about competition and the monopoly interest that the packies have now.

I tell you, the grocery stores that I *can* buy booze in (Price Chopper in Pittsfield, Whole Foods in Hadley) are a LOT more stringent about selling to me (I look a lot younger than I am) than the average package store. Take that for what it's worth.

Want the answer: Follow the money.
Probably not a strong wine lobby, but a sronger liquor/beer distributor lobby doesn't want to rock the boat on their sweet deal.

In AZ, you can go to a Circle K and buy a Bud Light tall boy at the counter all iced up and ready for you to crack on your way home. (Illegal to have open container in the car, so why would it be at the counter ready to drink?)

I also expereinced this at a gas station on I-57 outside of Cairo, IL miles from any farmhouse or residence. Road Coke anyone?

the_bird said:
I love Ohio's drive-through convenience stores; you can get a six-pack from the comfort of your driver's seat.
I heave heard of these, but I feared they might just be a highway mirage. They do exist! :rockin:

here in PA it is really messd up.

Want wine or liquor you have to go to the state store, this is a state run store which keeps a tight control over what you can buy and where you can get it. The have a terrible selection and the prices are high.

Beer, want a six pack or a case. Cases only from a beer distributor and sixxers only from a Bar.

Our state sucks, the reason is all the money and power. We also have liquor liscense that is very tough and expensive to get.

I was down in VA this summer and you can get beer and wine in the grocery store and they even sold it at the pizza shop.

If MA is asking if you want another option to buy wine I would vote YES. This can only help, after some time start to push for other options.

the_bird said:
I love Ohio's drive-through convenience stores; you can get a six-pack from the comfort of your driver's seat.

I was up in Flagstaff a couple years back. THe drive through liquor store sold us a bottle of Jim Beam and a box of shotgun shells.

Fiery Sword said:
I heave heard of these, but I feared they might just be a highway mirage. They do exist! :rockin:

We have a drive through beer distributor where you get cases and never leave the car.

You can buy beer and wine at just about every convenience store or grocery store (which also sell hard) and most gas stations. In addition, there are liquor stores EVERYWHERE that sell beer, wine, hard liquor, etc.

Most liquor stores and c-stores in my area are owned by Indo-Pak immigrants. Some of the stores can stay sell alcohol as late as 4am, but most liquor stores close at 10:00-1:00am. 7-11 sells beer and wine (used to sell hard). I have a 7-11 and a liquor store across the street.

I grew up in PA where liquor might as well have been the devil in a bottle (see Todd's post above). So, it's always amazing to me how easy it is to get beverages in almost any other state. Here in NM, I can buy beer, wine, and liquor at Wal Mart!

Massachusetts has definitely got better over the last few years. Allowing stores to open on Sunday is an example, as well as allowing convience stores and grocery stores to sell booze as long as they can get an existing license.

The strength of the lobby is definitely a contributing issue. A friend of mine works for MS Walker (huge distributor up here) and they are all over the politics of these issues. Obviously, the almighty dollar rules. The consumer is caught in between, and is ultimately screwed.

A local side-story is that a friend of mine owns a great little Irish Pub in Everet, MA and has been wanting to open up on Sunday. However, he has to get an additional license to open the bar on Sunday.....his regular license is only good from M-Sat. Additionally, he has to retroactively buy this license for the entire previous calendar year. He even got into some trouble having a private party on a Sunday this part summer. Think of that, you own your own business and wish to have a little homebrew/smoked food gathering with friends at YOUR bar, YOUR building, with YOUR food and booze. And it is illegal because you didnt pay the 'man. Crazy.

Chimone said most of it about AZ but to summarize:

Convenience stores, grocery stores (even walgreens/pharmacy's) and of course liquor stores sell wine, beer and liquor. Got drive-up liquor stores as well. Hours are 10a - 2a, 7 days a week. (or is it 1a? I'm usually sleeping by then). Wild west, man needs a drink when he's thirsty.

Oh and Chimone the singles cold at Circle K are for the boulevard people in orange vests (Tucson at least, dunno about your neck of the desert) ;).

The only place in VA where you can't buy beer is the state liquor store (they call them the ABC stores heres). You can get beer and wine in the grocery store, convenience store, wine and beer stores (imagine that?), and yes, some pizza and mexican places sell individual bottles but I guess that's the same for almost any restraunt.
Up in NJ it sucks, you have to go to the liquor store to get everything.

todd_k said:
The only place in VA where you can't buy beer is the state liquor store (they call them the ABC stores heres). You can get beer and wine in the grocery store, convenience store, wine and beer stores (imagine that?), and yes, some pizza and mexican places sell individual bottles but I guess that's the same for almost any restraunt.
Up in NJ it sucks, you have to go to the liquor store to get everything.

You may have to get everything at a Liquor store, but the prices aren't State run like here in VA and Liquor is a heckuva lot cheaper up there.

In Michigan you can buy beer, wine and Liquor at Meijer's (think super Wal-Mart) grocery stores, the only stipulation is waiting till after noon on Sunday.

Flyin' Lion said:
You may have to get everything at a Liquor store, but the prices aren't State run like here in VA and Liquor is a heckuva lot cheaper up there.

In Michigan you can buy beer, wine and Liquor at Meijer's (think super Wal-Mart) grocery stores, the only stipulation is waiting till after noon on Sunday.

upstate NY has those whacky blue laws too. That was the worst when I was in college or just out of college trying to buy a 12-pack of Old Milwaukee before the NFL games started and the clerk won't sell it to you because it's 11:45! They also had weird keg rules like you have be 21 or older to buy one..... crazy talk!

NY just recently repelled the selling before noon on Sunday laws which is great. However they have really tightened up on the keg laws to restrict and trace sales. Huge deposits and the kegs get tagged. I worked in PA for a while a that state is wacked, I couldn't get a beer at the grocery store but the pizza place/bar could sell to me??? I have relatives in MA on the wifes side and the package stores closed at like 8pm on week nights. Just another reason to brew your own.

Flyin' Lion said:

I don't know about being state run prices. For us to get a $10 bottle from VA will cost $18.5 with all the fees plus actual shipping.

the_bird said:
I tell you, the grocery stores that I *can* buy booze in (Price Chopper in Pittsfield, Whole Foods in Hadley) are a LOT more stringent about selling to me (I look a lot younger than I am) than the average package store. Take that for what it's worth.

I am originally from NY and have been up to ****zfield........I mean Pittsfield and western Mass. a few times(SWMBO is from there). Sadly enough I have sat in the parking lot of this store , and People come from all over to stock up for the night. I saw two girls barely 100lbs each caring two cases of beers each to a truck, no men in sight! I never did understand the laws some states have n selling alcohol. Now, here in CA! I can get anything anytime I want, just go to Safeway and buy away, they even have it in a fridge for you!

FIGHT THE POWER!

Todd said:
here in PA it is really messd up.

Want wine or liquor you have to go to the state store, this is a state run store which keeps a tight control over what you can buy and where you can get it. The have a terrible selection and the prices are high.

Beer, want a six pack or a case. Cases only from a beer distributor and sixxers only from a Bar.

Our state sucks, the reason is all the money and power. We also have liquor liscense that is very tough and expensive to get.

I was down in VA this summer and you can get beer and wine in the grocery store and they even sold it at the pizza shop.

If MA is asking if you want another option to buy wine I would vote YES. This can only help, after some time start to push for other options.

I lived in PA for 17 years, and when I go back to visit, I'm still shocked by the price of beer, and the hassle of getting it. 4 days a week, 8-4, WTF? Or like you said go to the bar and pay bar prices for TAKE OUT beer. craziness.

Well, it appears that the majority of my fellow statespeople feel that wine at grocery stores is a no-no. :mad:

at least the rest of the election seems to be going well. :D

In Texas, there is a patchwork quilt of wet and dry areas all over the place, but generally speaking, you can get beer and wine in groceries, convenience stores, and gas stations, as well at the many privately owned beer and wine stores or liquor stores in any of the wet areas. Drive-through beer barns really do exist.

Now in Lousiana, unless they've changed it within the past couple of years, the convenience stores and gas stations also sell Jim Beam and cola in 12 oz cans, and similar mixed drinks. There are also drive-through margarita stores.

Both states have open container laws...

Fiery Sword said:
Well, it appears that the majority of my fellow statespeople feel that wine at grocery stores is a no-no. :mad:

at least the rest of the election seems to be going well. :D

Yes, it seems that all those commercials about liquor in convenience stores and drunk driving deaths worked.

Now if people actually read the question on the ballot..... :drunk:

Did Question 1 fail?!?!? Man, that stinks! I was hoping for that to pass. Then I wanted beer sales approved in a few years... Remember when the Packies were first allowed to open on sundays, but only if they were within 10 miles of a bordering state that also allowed sunday sales? what was it another 10 years to be state wide?

here's a Q for texas... are road sodas still legal as long as you aren't impared?

Hippie said:
Did Question 1 fail?!?!? Man, that stinks! I was hoping for that to pass. Then I wanted beer sales approved in a few years... Remember when the Packies were first allowed to open on sundays, but only if they were within 10 miles of a bordering state that also allowed sunday sales? what was it another 10 years to be state wide?
yup, it failed! and yes, i do remember when they allowed the stores up north to open - i used to drive up to north reading and hit this liquor store just down the street from Pro Bowl 10 Pin......where I rolled my first 200 game. Ahhhhh beer and bowling. :rockin: :rockin:

Fiery Sword said:

They have heaps of 'em in Australia.

100_0613.jpg

Haven't been to one since I started home brewing a few months ago. :D

Florida is pretty lax when it comes to booze laws. here in Orlando we can buy beer/wine from Liquor, Gas, and Grocery Stores and liquor from Liquor / Some Groceries (which will have a seperate attached liquor store).

Can buy M-Sat 8am-2am and Sunday Noon - 2AM

All in all not too bad, except the bars in my city have skyrocket prices in order to drag the money outta all the tourists.

Back