brew pot or keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dycokac

Reaction score
What are the caveats of a brew kettle vs a keggle?

I might beable to get my hands on a keg, but if I can't should I just buy a pot like the super stainless 60qt from austin or something compareable?

Kettle is usually more expensive given the same size but it's more efficient at heating. Keg is cheaper usually but its tall skinny shape doesn't provide much surface area at the flame.

So, maybe i'll just save up and get that 60 qt from austin then. It's description sounded good and I may be happier with it anyway.

Turkey Fryer, burner and pot perfect for each other and about 30-40 bucks..pretty good for someone new to full boil - i think - i'm going this route.

Depends on the batch you want to brew.

Keggles are 15.5 gallons - 70 quarts. More than enough for most. You can get aluminum kettles up to 40 gal - 160 qts (and probably bigger). You can get one here for $100 +shipping. May be overkill, but a lot of people spend a lot more than that for a small SS pot. Some kegs(commercial/sanke) are also aluminum. If you're going to buy a keggle, make sure it's stainless.

Also, most stock pots are thicker than a keg. More expensive pots will have a pocketed bottom to allow heat diffusion. If you get a keggle or a single layer stock pot, try to find a piece of flat steel to use to distribute the heat and prevent scorching.

If you are going to use a keg as a boiler, see potential risk

Back