IPA Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrman13

Reaction score
I was curious to hear your opinions on aging an IPA or IIPA concerning alcohol/malt mellowing in relation to hop flavor diminishing. I recently brewed a IIPA with an OG of 1.090 with the intention of it being a short term grain to glass beer. I had it in primary for two weeks, no secondary, and now I'm dry hopping it in the keg with 4 oz of hops. I've had it kegged for close to a week now, and I'm expecting to pull the first pint in about a week. I'm quite sure that the hop flavor with be absolutely explosive, which is really what I was going for with this one. But I'm a bit worried about and green flavors or hot alcohol flavors being too prevalent. My last IPA was a bit too far on the other side, having sat and mellowed for a little bit longer but at the expense of diminished hop flavor. Do I have a legitimate concern here? Any tips on achieving a good balance here? Clearly it's too late for this current brew, but I make IPA's pretty regularly so I'll have a chance to try out any tips before too long.

My experience with IPA's has so far been limited to Lagunitas IPA clone. After three batches I've noticed that the hop flavor and the slight sweet flavor really balance out after three weeks in the keg. I don't know how long is too long because I hit the bottom of the keg in no more than two months from kegging.

It won't be completely devoid of hops if you leave it for a month.

Once I oaked half a batch, that was great as I could drink some fresh and the rest was a real nice oaky beer that aged better.

Back