Vanilla oak stout question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
I have just brewed up a 6% abv stout and will be aging it on oak and vanilla. Question about how to incorporate the ingredients. I have oak cubes now and i think I going to replace them with chips, because I don't want to age this beer for months, which I hear is the difference between chips and cubes. Good idea? Also I'll be getting some beans. Should I cut them and scrape them, adding the pulp and bean or just the pulp? Then how long should this age. I was thinking a week or two will be good for the chips, but do the beans need longer? Thanks!

What's the recipe? If it's a really thick, dark stout, with lots of flavorful malts, you'll need more for it to come through than if it's on the lighter side. If you have beans, they're great. Chop up 1-3 (depending on amount of vanilla you want (more if you want A LOT of vanilla) and the recipe you used) and scrape the beans. Either just add to secondary, or soak in a dash of vodka during primary fermentation to extract the flavor, then toss the whole thing in the secondary, beans, pulp and all. 2 weeks seems like a good amount of time to me.

Search for chips vs cubes, and you'll get all kinds of opinions. Just don't over do it.

I was thinking about soaking the chips. So vodka will extract the flavors of the oak/vanilla? I also have some tullamore dew Irish whiskey in the cabinet that sounds interesting to use. How long should it soak, will a week or two do?

Cubes take a while to come through, but they come in 3 oz sacks and you can get great extraction in 1 month using 3 oz of cubes.

Back